Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

550 relay not permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepie

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
GB
Getting this when sending emails to certain addresses which I know to be valid - any ideas?

thanks in advance

Typically, this is because you are trying to send the message through a mail server that is not the same as the 'from' account.

For example, sending a message out through server mail.xyz.com when your 'from' address is set to somebody@abc.com.

This is relaying (through a different mail server) and a good mail server setup will not allow it.

this also happens if your internet connection is made to abc.com but your mail account is with xyz.com. Most ISP's insist you use their connection to utilise their SMTP server. Nobody cares about POP3 as that is only for receiving.

This can happen if your internet dial-up has defaulted to the wrong account or a malicious dialler has taken over your account.

I have email dial-up & accounts with 3 different ISPs, one of which is BT. I've recently subscribed to BTs 24/7 service for a monthly fee, so now I don't pay for connection time to BT, but do pay for connection time to the others).

I want to continue exchanging mail using all three email accounts, so I set them all up as services in Outlook express.

Originally I set all three to use my "free" BT dial-up.

With that setting, I can recieve all mail ok, but get the dreaded "550 relay not permitted" message when I try to reply using the non-BT email accounts.

If I set the other email accounts to use their respective dial-up accounts, I have to pay even to collect incoming mail.

I can (sort of) accept the notion of paying to send from the non-BT accounts, but I can't find the a seemless way to get the free stuff free.

Surely I can't be the only person in this situation, but although my requirements seem very simple, so far they've been impossible to get.

Anyone got any ideas?

For all three accounts set the outgoing SMTP server to the server that you are allowed to use for the dial up connection that you are using.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back