Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5250 emulation connection timing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

x90syl

Programmer
Oct 11, 2009
GB
Hi,

We are using Netsoft's 5250 emulation software to access some AS400 machines via TCP/IP. The problem we have is for one particular machine it always times out, say, after 60 mins of inactivity. However, for other machines they stay connected until we terminate the session. We have recently been given access to another machine which again has no timeout problems. As far as I know, no changes have been made to the firewall to exclude this new machine for checking for inactivity or know of any settings for the existing machines.

Before the firewall, I think it is a Cisco ASA 5505, was installed we had no problems with any machine timing out.

I have searched the net for solutions and found some for IBMs software but none for Netsoft. Some mentioned changing a reg entry to set the keepalive setting to 120000 milliseconds or something but this is only affecting one machine.

Therefore, any ideas for checks to look for would be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards
PS I also posted this in the Cisco PIX forum but have had no response as yet :(

ok,, so when you say "time-out",, do you mean drops the session completely,, or signs off the session?? Does it "loose",, communications, or does it just close the session??

Hi jmd0252. Thanks for responding.

The sessions drop completely. When I sign on again the session says I have another session already active.

Regards

so communication drops, and the sessions stays active... isn't that interesting.. does it revert to a signon screen or just black,, like someone pulled the wire loose,, so to speak?

Hi jmd0252,

Interesting is not the word that springs to mind - more like annoying!

The screen goes black with the II (Input inhibited) light on and you have to click on session > disconnect to terminate it and then connect again.

The strange thing is we can connect to up to four different AS400 connections and this problem only occurs on the others stay up with no probs.

Thanks & regards

OK,, THERE IS A "TIME-OUT:, option, sysval. while I would consider it to be global,, it might be workstation id specific. And I assume it is always the same workstation id, that drops off for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back