Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

50 pair cat 3 on a 48 port cat 5 patch panel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DataProducts

Technical User
Nov 1, 2012
US
I have a 50 pair line which is terminated on a 66 block on one end and the other end is to be terminate on a new 48 port patch panel. I know the standard wiring code for laying in 48 pairs which would only render 12 ports for phones but I will need all 48 ports active. Can anyone supply info on how this will be wired?

What is going to plug into the port on the patch panel? How many pairs?

If we cable to a patch panel for single pair digital phones, it is one pair per port, on the spot where the Wht/Blu of the Cat-5 would terminate. If it is 2 pair hybrid phones, it is first pair on where the Wht/Blu would go and second pair to whre the Wht/Grn (568-B wiring) would go.

So, single pair, blue binder of the 50 pair, Wht/Blu pair to port 1's Wht/Blu punchdown. Wht/Org pair to port 2's Wht/Blu punchdown, and so forth. Skip the Vio/Slt pair. Start the orange binder, Wht/Blu pair on port 25 and down to 48.

2-pair, 50 pair's blue binder, wht/ble to port 1's wht/blu, wht/orn pair to port 1's wht/grn. Wht/Grn pair to port 2's wht/blu, and Wht/Brn to port 2's Wht/Grn. When you finish port 12, stow the Vio/Slt pair, start the orange binder at port 13, that will get you to port 24, and you'll need another piece of 50-pair to do 25-48

Given the application you're talking about here, why use a 48 port patch panel? Terminate on a 110 or 66 instead and use cross-connect wire (unless your station cabling is already terminated on a patch panel?)

Thanks Tommy, that would have been my first guess and it is for digital phones single pair. Customer specification (big bank) is the reason it is being done this way, otherwise, yes I would put it on a 110 or 66. Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back