Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5 Slot No Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r6wraith600

IS-IT--Management
Sep 14, 2006
CA
Recently we went to change a 2 slot to a 5 slot with the addition of a VM and extra card for more extensions. However after fighting one module in (poor plastic mold covering the power connector) we got it all in but we couldn't power on the unit, there was no power.

Now we used the 2 slot power connector and the only thing we can think of other then it being defective is the power cable.

Is the power connector for the 2 slot different from a 5 slot? It doesn't look like it is but this is all we are left with to blame other then the carrier is defective. The modules power up fine in the 2 slot carrier just as a side note.

Any thoughts?

The backplane power connectors should be the same. It is possible that the connector in position #5 is bad.

Just for giggles, try direct powering the module that will be in slot #5 and also move the module to slot #4 to make sure it is good in that slot.

If everything points to a bad slot, replace the carrier.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

if the 5 slot carrier is not working there is a fuse under the white plastic cover, the problem is that it is a really odd valued fuse and you might have to order it in.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

I misunderstood the problem. [sad]

Joe nailed it. It might be worthwhile contacting the party/company the carrier was purchased from and get a replacement sent.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

its often necessary to have to push hard near the power connections on the modules in a 5 slot carrier to get the modules to to seat

do you have the power switch on on the carrier ?

are you using a new or old carrier ?

what modules and how are you positioning them ?

Ive never seen a bad carrier or a blown fuse I suspect the cards just aren't seated properly

I just had this random reboot problem with my 2 slot carrier, and i changed the carrier today, and Im having zero problems now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back