Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5-Site TDE100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisco33

Vendor
Jun 22, 2021
US
Hello,

I have a customer that is moving away from Windstream and switching over to Spectrum for both PRI and internet.

The customer has 5 locations that are all on the same PBX, which is located at their main location (let's call it "Site A"). They have a TDE100, with digital phones at Site A and all 300 series IP phones at Sites 2-5. Currently, they are networked via a Windstream-managed MPLS.

To make a long story short, this process of converting over to Spectrum has been in the works for over a year now and they finally decided to go ahead with it- Spectrum has already installed equipment at 1 of the sites and is scheduled to finish their end of things this week.

We were told by an IT company that we work with that everything should be fine on their end throughout this whole process, only to be told just yesterday that their Ubiquiti routers are not capable of setting up multiple VPNs- which, to my knowledge is absolutely necessary for this to work, as users at each site need to be able to communicate with one another.

I just wanted to verify my thinking that in order for this application to work with the current PBX equipment that the customer has- do we need a VPN setup from each site to every other site or do we need just one VPN setup from each remote site (Sites B-E) to the main Site A?

I know of a few alternative possibilities- (put in an NS700 or NS1000 and use MRG- which would also require switching out all remote phones (all are 300-series)) but all of them involve quite a bit of added expense to the customer and/or us- which is a rather unpleasant situation to be in this late in the game.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or alternatives that come to mind to make this work with the current equipment?

Why not just setup your own point to point VPNs as long as you have capable routers at each site with public IPs.
You don't need to change your PBX.

Wanet Telecoms Limited

The VPNs would only need setting up from each remote site B, C, D & E to the main site A (ie. not needed between remote sites).

The Ubiquiti Edge Routers and USGs certainly support multiple site-to-site VPNs in this way ("Hub and spokes"). I don't know about the UDMs but I'd be surprised if they didn't support this too.

keypulse said:
The VPNs would only need setting up from each remote site B, C, D & E to the main site A (ie. not needed between remote sites).

That is correct only in case if users of remote sites (B, C, D, E) need to communicate with Site A only.
If they need to communicate with each others, VPN should be full-mesh (every site to every site) in case of TDE-series systems.

------------
Telephone communication like an air: you do not notice it until you spoil it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back