Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5 PRI's with only 1 DCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie13

Technical User
Nov 2, 2006
US
I'm used to a Norstar switch where you need a DCH per each PRI. How does it work in the big switch? When I do a stat, I only see 1 dch with 5 PRI's. How do you order this type of service with the Telco? Do I just ask them that we need 5 pri's with dch? Or is there a correct terminology for this?

yeah,
than the co will send you the dch on one of the pri's/t1's. so you will have 24 phone channels, 24 phone channels, 24 phone channels, 24 phone channels, 23 phone channels and the 24th channel will have the dch on it. if you tell them what you said above and ask them to explain to you what you just ordered they should explain it like I say above. all your caller information for the 119 voice channels you ordered will come accross on the 120th channel which will be the dch.

IF I WAS ORDERING THAT I WOULD ASK FOR 1 PRIMARY AND 1 BACKUP DCH, THE REASON BEING IF YOU LOOSE THAT ONE T1 SPAN YOUR SOL

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

Your terminology is correct. As the above posts indicate it is a really good idea to have the backup dchannel. Telco providers usually limit the number of pris controlled by a specific dchannel/backup combination- some as few as 6, others 16 or more. It's also a good idea to have primary dch on a different MSDL card than backup.

THE CORRECT DEFINITION FOR THIS SCENARIO IS NFAS NON-FACILITY ASSOCIATED SIGNALING. THIS IS DIFFERENT FROM FAS WHERE EACH SPAN HAS A D-CHANNEL

My experience with backup DCH is that is fails about 60% of the time...I would rather just add another primary DCH.

so with another primary dch would I be correct in describing it as 2 t's run off one of the dch's and the other 3 t's would run off of the second dch. so if one dch goes down you would either have 2 t's running or 3 t's running depending which dch went down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back