Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.7.1 SMTP; 550 5.7.1 Relaying Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOSA

MIS
May 29, 2003
US
Greeting All:

We are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise on Windows 2003 server. We do have 4 different email domains coming to the Exchange server. But everything seems to be running OK. I checked and we do have a valid PTR and our mailserver is not listed on any black list.

The problem I am having periodically is that all of sudden, we get this 5.7.1 smtp...relaying denied message.

Here is the contents of the message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: XXXX XXXXX XXXX
Sent: 8/9/2006 9:47 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'John Doe' on 8/9/2006 9:49 AM
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<ExchServer.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <JohnDoe@company.com>... Relaying denied>

John Smith on 8/9/2006 9:49 AM
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<ExchServer.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <JohnSmith@company.com>... Relaying denied>

This message seems to be originating from my exchange server (ExchServer.mydomain.com is our Exchange server). This particular email was a reply to an email that John Doe had sent to one of our users. It also occurs when one of our user emails anybody at @company.com. Usually, within a day or two, it corrects itself and we can email each other fine. I have also experienced this with several other companies that we communicate with regularily. I did a nslookup from the Exhange server and it resolved it correctly to their mailserver IP.

I have been trying to find out why this temporary error occurs, but haven't found much. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

look into recpt. policy to ensure all is in place...(primary smtp)
then
into users permisssions on his/her mailbox
if all fails, recreate a mailbox.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

This error is normally due to spam filtering options set on the recipients end, check if returned emails use BCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back