Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.5 to 2003 Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifegard2

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US
Hello,

We'll be upgrading our NT4 domain with Exchange 5.5 to Windows Server 2003 w/ Exchange 2003 shortly. I see the standard upgrade path for Exchange 2003 requires the new domain to be in 2003 native mode. Here is my problem. My Exchange 5.5 box in the NT4 domain is on a BDC. I can't upgrade the BDC w/ Exchange 5.5 to Windows Server 2003 because Exchange 5.5 supposedly won't run on Windows Server 2003. However, I don't think I can do the standard upgrade if my Exchange 5.5 BDC remains on the network because the network will have to stay in mixed mode.

Any ideas?

Yes. Install a new Windows 2003 Server. Install Exchange 2003. Migrate all mailboxes, PFs, bridgeheads, AV, anti spam etc to the new box, ensure replication is complete, down the 5.5, confirm everything works, remove the 5.5 from the org, go to native mode.

That's it in a tiny nutshell!

Hi Zelandakh,
I am sorry to ask, but can you give in detail the steps to easily setup a new windows 2003 with exchange 2003 and move the information from the old nt server /exchange 5.5

Its sounds real easy in the nutshell, but would like to know in detail as to how long would it take for the complete process.

Regards,
MJ

Other than that, insert the Exchange 2003 disk and go through the checklist. Much of the work is specific to your organisation so I cannot really give you detailed task lists.

How long? Well, from taking the new server out of its box, I would expect to have Exchange 2003 running within 4 hours. Depending on store sizes, Exchange should go over quite quickly. Bridgehead, AV, PF etc should be done within a couple of hours assuming you have system documentation on the installation processes.

I'd say a small to medium org could go over in about 8 hours but you won't spend many of them chilling and drinking beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back