Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.5-SP4- Priv store file size / offline defrag didn't help (hot water)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyler

MIS
May 15, 2001
US
Hey all,

I played out my ultimate Exchange fantasy last week- having my standard edition 5.5 server hit the 16GIG limit and stop the store- I ran the offline backup, got the store back up, and went around the cubes with a whip and made TONS/mail go away. But it hasn't...

Deleted K in mailbox recources of store show 0's. Deleted item retention was (and always is) set to 0.

I had my users get rid of at least 4GB of mail, but the file size hasn't changed a bit, still shows just at 16GB.

Searched forever loking for similair sad stories but none found.

Thoughts? "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
-- Karl Lehenbauer

eseutil /d

I think you get a 1221 that should show 4GB of white space. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

You must run an offline defrag on the information store in order to shrink the physical size. The good news, even though your information store says 16 gigs, the store will not grow until the 4 gigs are taken up.

Here's an article that I have used:

How to run an offline Defrag on the Private Information Store

The defragmentation option makes used storage contiguous, eliminates unused storage, and compacts the database, which reduces the database's size. Eseutil copies database records to a new database. When defragmention is complete, the original database is deleted or saved to a user-specified location, and the new version is renamed as the original. If the utility encounters a bad record, the utility stops and displays an error message.

Defragmenting an Exchange Server 5.5 Database

NOTE: Defragmenting a database requires free disk space equal to 110 percent of the size of the database that you want to process.

1. Stop the Exchange services by using the Services tool in Control Panel.

2. At the command prompt, change to the Winnt\System32 folder, and then type the following command

C:\winnt\system32> eseutil /d /ispriv /tdrive&path and file name to where temp file will be created (that has 110 percent disk space available)

Example: eseutil /d /ispriv /tg:\temp.edb

Note: The default name for the temp file: Tempdfrg.edb file is created on the logical drive from which the eseutil /d command is run unless you use the /t switch.

You will see a status bar state the progress of the defrag. It can take several hours.

When it is completed, re-start the Exchange services.

For more switch parameters for the eseutil utility, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles:

XADM: ESEUTIL Command Line Parameters
XADM: How to Defragment with the Eseutil Utility (Eseutil.exe)

My last 1221 reports 14 MB of white
I already ran an offline backup (please re-read the post) and it did not help.

File size is the same size. Jeezus...

Does this limitation exist in Exch2k? "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
-- Karl Lehenbauer

I was thinking you did an offline defrag :) Offline backup WILL NOT shrink it!

If the 1221 shows 14MB then you need to delete more stuff before doing an offline defrag.

This limitation is not in Enterprise in 5.5 or E2K.

Dan Dan

Hi,

mmhh Exchange 5.5 with a limit of 16gb? i think Exchange 5.0 has a limit of 16gb... Exchange 5.5 has NO limit to the store, but keep in mind that 30gb is the limit you must apply, because your store wil get instable and restoring is a huge job. We have Exchange 5.5 sp4 +hotfixes with a store of 26gb...

activate some general logging on the IS and you should get the 1221 eventID wich will tell you how much space you should get back if you perform a offline DEFRAG of the entire IS priv and pub...

greetings

Dawn

skyler - you say offline backup. did you really mean backup or defrag?

do a complete backup and ensure you got no errors. run eseutil as above. if your 1221 says 14MB can be reclaimed you may have an unrelated problem with WHERE you are storing.

Check your disks - have you got enough room or is it just coincidence it is 16GB. As noted above, Exchange 5.5 has a theoretical 16GB limit but it just doesn't seem to care IRL.

Check the exch admin to see where it thinks the databases are stored and check that disk...

If you are really interested in flying by the seat of your pants, here is an all or nothing one: once the backup has proven to be complete, delete (or rename if you have the space) the filenames and create a new server in Exch optimiser. Then restore from backup as this should not restore unwanted emails if your backup is brick level...

Just don't blame me if things go pear shaped!!! :)

Exchange 5.5 does have a limit of 16 GB on the non-Enterprise version. When the store starts it says unlimited capacity on Enterprise only!

The 1221 shows how much space an offline defrag will be cut off the database. That is the key to knowing if you will benefit from it.

Also I've seen 60 GB databases. In E2k you can have up to 20 stores (working) on one server so the databases are way easier to work on! Again this is only in Enterprise. Dan

Run an online defrag. We run one every night and it shrinks the database after it has been growing all day.

Date 15/10/02 EventID: 1221
Time source MSExchangeIS Private
User N/A type Information
Computer ServerName Category General

The database has 402 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

The database size reduces every night. try giving this a go.
This should help.
Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back