Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.2 ML3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinuAIX

MIS
Jun 5, 2003
US
Hi All,

Has anyone else begun testing with ML3?

My sandbox, an F50 is at AIX 5.2ML2. I installed ML3, created a mksysb and the attempted to restore from that image, twice, with some very bad results! My only recourse has been to restore 5.2ML2 from mksysb. The really strange part is this, the system has a pair of 4.3 GB root disks. They are mirrored as normal. The rootvg has lots of extra space. When I restore from the ML2 image I am able to restore to just hdisk0. When I do the same procedure with the ML3 image I cannot get the restore to go onto just hdisk0. I get the "not enough room" messages. I even forced it passed that with the "shrink filesystems" option only to have the restore fail claiming it could not create the LV's due to space constraints. I forced it passed those and got failure to create FS messages. I then forced it passed those only to receive the expected message that BOS could not be restored. I then rebooted and found ML2 intact and just fine and still mirrored. When I play the game and let the system attempt to install on both hdisk0 and hdisk1 it appears to restore just fine. That is until I reach the "83% done Over Mounting /." message. The next thing I know the screen is streaming messages about the various things it cannot find. This streaming continues without stopping. A normal reboot there after gets the same results. And once again I restore ML2!

Tomorrow I will install ML3 and do a lppchk -v and a bosboot -ad and try again, without mirroring the OS. Any other ideas?

Larry

There is a problem with ML3 while booting from mksysb. The APAR to fix this problem is IY56839. I believe the actual fileset that needs to be upgraded is devices.chrp.base.rte.5.2.0.31.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jarrett
IBM Certified Systems Expert pSeries HACMP for AIX
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert for AIX 5L and pSeries
- AIX 5L Systems Administration
- AIX 5L Performance and System Tuning
- p690 Technical Support
- pSeries HACMP for AIX

Hey Jarrett,

Thanks for the response. This is not actuall realted to APAR IY56389, the too large of a bosboot image. Well kinda but not really. I have always booted from a CD to recover a mksysb. Booting from tape is just too bloody slow.

IBM tells me that you cannot boot from ML02 based CD and restore a ML03 mksysb. The choices are as you state apply the above mentioned APAR and boot from the tape image or boot from a ML03 based CD. Those ML03 based CD's are now available from IBM. I am as I type restoring my ML02 image. I will then apply the APAR, apply ML03 make a tape and try to boot from it.

This is a real change from the 4xxx days when I could boot with any 4xxx cd and restore a tape image up or down level from it.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back