Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.1.1 errors on Exchange 2003 - Can't find who's sending them 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weogarth

MIS
Sep 8, 2003
US
All

I've been tasked with eliminating a minor but highly visible and annoying issue.

About 2 weeks ago, administrative assistants for various VIPs at my company started getting bounce messages as shown below. Jack Frost was a test account from 5 years ago and has since been deleted. I need to figure out how this person is being invited to all these meetings. It'd be one thing if the scheduler got the message but ALL invitees are getting the bounce message. Because of that, I need to find out how this dead email account is getting invitations, and correct it, because it's certainly not on the invitation list.

I have examined the nk2 file of one of the admins and found it clean of references to Jack Frost and have really found only common link, and that is one of the VIPs. All the bounce messages come from various appointments made with this VIP. I have not yet had a chance to examine his nickname file but if there is no 'Jack Frost' in there, I'm out of ideas. I've even had jfrost@domainname.tld added to my own Exchange account to try to intercept these but it's not working either.

What other things can I check to eliminate these invites to this long-gone account?

Many many thanks in advance on any help given.

Sincerely,

Gary Whitten

Frost, Jack on 11/28/2006 10:24 AM
The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
<xxxx.xxxxx.domainname.tld #5.1.1>

Is Jack Frost perhaps orphaned in some Distribution Group somewhere?

I'm not one of the people who run the Exchange servers or can really do much with the AD structure, but I do know that Jack Frost is basically gone, I believe completely deleted. Is it still possible for Jack Frost to be on a DL in that case?

The other thing is that this Jack Frost gets emailed when the appointment is with this VIP and one other person and no resources. This 'one other' is not a 'specific' one either, meaning that it seems to happen when HE is in the invitee list which is what's baffling me. This is something I just haven't seen before and from my googling, not something others have seen either.

Jack Frost gets emailed when the appointment is with this VIP

Who is this "VIP"? Is this a particular account?

This is too vague for me to understand the question...sorry.

VIP = Very Important Person = user
All the users that are complaining are high ranking people, or their admins, sorry, should have just said 'user'.

This one user, when invited to a meeting, regardless if it is with one or many people, generates a bounceback message to all invited saying (server name intentionally blotted out)

Frost, Jack on 11/28/2006 10:24 AM
The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
<xxxx.xxxxx.domainname.tld #5.1.1>

The problem is that this user's name is NOT Jack Frost so I'm seriously puzzled as to what is being emailed to Jack Frost when this user is invited to an appointment. This is what I am asking for help on, things to check that might hide something like this.

Bounces don't happen when he's emailed, just when invited to an appointment.

Check that he does not have Jack down as a delegate

Well, Paulha pegged it. Somehow this person had a test user as a delegate and when removed it caused all the headaches.

Thanks all for their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back