Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4th master hard disk S.M.A.R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjc513

MIS
Feb 21, 2001
US
a friend called and said that the above message came up on her machine. " 4th master hard disk S.M.A.R.T. status bad backup and replace "
Are they referring to a hard drive?

What operating system is she using? I'm guessing it's Windows 95. My assumption is that her computer is referring to SmartDrive aka. SMARTDRV. SmartDrive controls her systems hard disk or drive's cache file. A cache file is the go-between memory space between a hard drive and RAM even though it actually resides on the hard drive. If she is able to run windows she should be able to pop in her windows install CD and run the extract.exe program from the start->run box. Let us know if it that fixes the problem.

It's the smart monitoring of disk drives that has
exceeded thresholds for some attributes .

Yes its one of the harddrives .

I recommend backing up data from it as soon as possible .
And download a smart monitoring util , and continiously monitor it and to find out what attributes thats failing .And be prepared to replace it .

This util can be used :

moonguppie ! S.M.A.R.T is not smartdrive caching .
It's "Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology" for disk drives .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back