Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4mm dat drive not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobydoo26

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
US
After a move to the new office, the only glitch i'm still working on is the 4mm dat drive (external scsi) that is not recognized by NT 4.0 PDC. I've checked connections and all is well, the terminator is lit (seems ok), cable seems ok though i'm purchasing one to confirm. The error i'm getting is event ID 7000 and it says "service failed to start due to following error: system cannot find device specified".

Anything else it could be aside from cable?

Thanks

Have you tried downloading the latest driver from the vendors website?

Regards

Steve

the driver comes bundled in NT 4.0. It's an older tape drive and has actually been discontinued. I did however download the driver today for argument's sake and am going to install it again. didn't get a chance today...will let you know if it works. Getting the cable this weekend so i'll try all three on Monday......if problem doesn't get solved not sure what else it could be.

Thanks

I assume you have termination set at both ends of the SCSI bus. Certainly cable is a suspect. Lastly, to avoid timing problems, you might check your SCSI setup Utility configuration and make sure it isn't set to an improper transfer rate for that SCSI ID# you assigned to the tape drive. Also, check the power termination jumper (if present) and make sure that matches proper specs for your drive. On some Ultra SCSI tape drives such as the Seagate STT220000N (an internal), the recommended transfer rate is 5, not 80 ... and not wide negotiation I would be surprised if adapter settings would cause the drive to not appear at all but it could cause timing problems on the SCSI bus that could cause failure of the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back