Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

46xx phone connect to POE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgroepie

Technical User
Mar 13, 2007
GB
I have some avaya 46xx phones that i will connect on a cisco 4006 switch.
It seems that this switch send te power over ethernet in the endspan methode (so the power over the signaling wires 1, 2, 3 and 6)
This seems not to work for the Avaya 46xx phone

Does anyone knows if this can work with this cisco switch? and what way those phones need their power? (power module use pin 7 as - and 8 as a + and other method with POE is the midspan that uses 4/5 as - and 7/8 as +)

i think this is the catalist version switch
you need specialpower adapter for this

Avaya IP Phone Power Adapter
Despite the ratification of IEEE 802.3af-2003 and the support of the standard by vendors, some customers may utilize a legacy power scheme supported by Cisco switches. The following power adapter is specifically for Avaya IP Telephones and can be used to power theses telephones from specific Catalyst power blades (Catalyst is a registered trademark of Cisco Systems, Inc.).

The Avaya IP Phone Power Adapter is supported on the following:

Catalyst 6000 Inline Power 10/100 BaseT Switching Module - (WS-X6348-RJ45V).

Catalyst 4000 Inline Power 10/100 BaseT switching module - (WS-X4148-RJ45V).

I checked and the catalist has a WS-P4603-2PSU module connected that deliveres the power (on the signaling wires 1,2,3 and 6)

You stated that the WS-X4148-RJ45V would work for Avaya? but if i look in the specs it says:
WS-X4095-PEM(=) Cisco Catalyst 4000 Inline Power 10/100BASE-TX Switching Line Card
Inline power output per port: 48 VDC power
Pin assignment: 1, 2, 3, 6

So also on the signaling pins.

Is there any way to add something to the cisco 4006 that delivers the right power to the Avaya phones? as the phone works with a powermodule but to roll out a power module for every phone is too much extra.

make sure that the switch port has the POE configured. It is not set unless you have it enable.

Just as a matter of interest. There were two types of Avaya 46xx phones. The ones that came out initially ( generation 1) phones had a barrel connector at the bottom and could only take power either from a special power supply with a barrel type connector or have their power supplied via PIN 7 & 8 of the RJ45. These phones were replaced by the generation 2 phones that were 802.3af compliant which means that they got their power from pin 1&2 and 3&6.
I cannot comment on the Csico model you are using. We are using Cisco 3560 & 3750. Please note that due to the power required by the different models of phones, it does not mean that if you have a 48 port switch you can drive 48 phones. you need to calculate according to the model. Cisco's recommendation is to allocate a fixed power usage per port on the Cisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back