Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4620SWIP says...discover 192.xxx.xxx.xxx ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

phneguy

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
i have a remote phone (4620SWIP) at the house of a remote worker running VPNremote phone. we are trying to connect this via VPN tunnel.

we have the 406v2 4.1 with vpn remotephone user license which is valid. we are using VPNremote phone software on the 4620 as well.

we have the Netgear FVS338. i have created a policy using VPN and IKE Policy and can see the phone connect during boot up. the phone starts to download the files from the TFTP server and packets are being exchanged as well. when the phone gets done getting the files the phone shows... TFTP 1..2...3...4...5...6 and then says TFTP error TIME OUT, then a blank screen, then says discover 192.xxx.xxx.xxx (the ip address of the IP OFFICE).

am i doing anything wrong? i have followed the setup directions from Avaya on how to set up the FVS338.

i have also upgraded the firmware of the FVS338

any help would be great!!!!

Do you have an IP route in your IP Office for the VPN Remote network???

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

hey guys!

i dont think i do.

the remote location is 192.168.2.xxx

i dont think i have an IP route for 192.168.2.0

do you think this could be the problem?

does everthing else sound okay as far as the phone getting files ect.... is the phone connecting to the office?

you will need to add this route.

192.168.2.0, 255.255.255.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP Office default gateway.

you then need to be testing you can ping to and from the IP Office Lan to remote Phone.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
CCENT - Cisco ICND1
CCNA - Working towards.

thanks guys!

i just put the new ip route in. of course, im not in a place where i can test this.

i will let you know tonight when i can get back to it.

thanks again!

Make sure you leave manager open so it can download its TFTP files too.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
CCENT - Cisco ICND1
CCNA - Working towards.

hey guys,

just wanted to let you know that i got the phone to come up and it works great! after i put the new IP route in the IP OFFICE it started to work!

thanks for all your help

phneguy

Great that it workes now
But your phone did not get the files
It was just starting up and it showes the files wich it startes up with
The tftp time means it can not get the files
Do you understand what i mean ?

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

As peter sas, make sure it gets it's TFTP updates. Makes sure the TFTP PC has a route to get to the 192.168.2.x network. Easiest way is to give that PC a defualt gateway of the IPO.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

hey guys,

just wanted you to know that the phone is working great now. you guys were right! i had to make an IP route in the iP office for the remote location IP address.

thanks again!

I am upset as I just followed the exact same setup, and did the IP route, and my remote phone still sits in discovery.

I am wondering if it's a "protected nets" problem, or a routing issue..

Need help

First thing is make sure your remote network ip's are not the same as the office IP's. then your route would look like this if the remote network is a 10 network and your gatway on the office lan is a 192...

LAN1

All the protected nets tells the phone is what networks are on the other side of the VPN.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Thats exactly what I have done.
It still sits in discover.

Now - It is true that both the LAN that the IP Office is on is a 192.168.1.0 (the IP office is .20)

And my neighbor across the street is also using the same 192.168.1.1 scheme, so what I did was put that 172.16.22.5 example address in the virtual ip address on the Generic PSK Protected Nets, as well as 192.168.1.0/24 in the REMOTE1 under protected nets.

Then, what I did was do a route in ip office of

LAN1

As another note, my VPN does show the client connected, but shows their external IP address.

Being new to VPN, I had thought once a tunnel was up, it would let me assign one of MY Ip addresses to the phone... but I guess it doesnt work that way..

no i dont think it does. I think the virtual IP only comes into play when the VPN does not assign you an IP. We have tried a lot to get these going when the office and the remote are the same network it it has never worked. I am going to say that you will need to change the remote network.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Actually for me, it's probably easier to change my office network since a lot of people have the same addresses on home networks.

that is true..if you are going to have multiple phones connecting in then the each need a different network.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I had thought that the virtual IP took care of that.

So that being said, if I go change my office network to lets say 192.168.10.1 instead, should I zero out that virtual IP on the phone too?

I think the virual IP will depend on the setup of the VPN and the type. I cant really tell you for sure.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Okay, so then when I do my IP route, what should it be? should it be the end users external WAN address? or should it be some internal address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back