Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4620 IP phone issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodyk

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
US
I have been tinkering around with a small IP phone pilot, without the full-blown Avaya installation and network assessment. I have no QoS, VLAN, or anything like that going. I have 2 Definity sites that are DCS'd together and am adding a few IP phones at site 2, even though the IP-enabled switch is at site 1. Obviously the IP extensions are being administered at site 1. Anyway, the phones register fine and so is the call quality when calling outside, or to a digital phone at site 1 or 2. But When one IP phone (4620) calls another IP phone (4630) at site 2, the 4620 user cannot hear the 4630 user at all. The 4630 hears the 4620 fine. It doesn't matter who initiates the call, the 4620 is always the one who can't hear the 4630. Any ideas?

rodyk,

Try turning Direct IP - IP audio connections to Y and turn IP audio Hairpinning Y on page 2 of the station form.

Just a thought...

Thanks,

Wildcard

Do a list trace sta XXXX. (XXXX being one of your ip phones) Most likely it will be a codec mismatch. Just for kicks, put them all on one network region. Check you ip-mapping and make sure you allowed both regions to call one another.

In the future everything will work...

No, both stations already were configured with IP-IP connections and IP Hairpinning set to Y.
Also, both extensions are already in the same network region and the only codec administered on the switch is G.711MU, the default.

Turn off ip-ip "shuffling"...see if it connects. I would add g729a and g723-6.3

Hmm, turning IP-IP Audio and Hairpinning OFF solved the problem. I wonder why.

You should leave hairpinning on. IP shuffling may work on your lan but for what ever reason I can't get it to work remotely...if you find an answer let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back