Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

450 Stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachBenj

Technical User
May 23, 2001
US
In a 450 stack of 3, if you want to replace 1, do you have to power down the whole stack or just the one that is going to be replaced?

Scott

My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

1) the selection process for assigning a base unit requires all the units to be powercycled anyway.

2) my technicians are not hot swappable, so I do not like fro them to be working on live equpment

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

You only need to power down the one you are replacing..

...the election process happends on the fly...

just make sure you dont have 2 set to be the base at the switch on the cascade module

The fault tolerance of a "stack" would be kinda stupid if you had to power the whole thing down... eh?

In my experience, you get a bit of hit and miss.

1. Power down the faulty switch.
2. Make sure the new switch is the same firmware and software.
3. A new switch will become stack Master indicated by a flashing Master light. Do not alter any setting on the cas module
4. Insert new switch w/ CAS set to Master.
5. It's now hit and miss. It may switch back to the new switch, or the stack will need a reboot. However, it is not vital to reboot the stack as it will still function ok.

Stu..

I agree it's hit and miss.
For me it's been more miss than hit.

I would try to replace the unit without powering down. See what happens. I would almost bet you will have to reboot the stack.

If it was me I would power down the stack and replace the unit. Bring it all up together. You should be able to go ahead and configure all the vlans on the switch before you put it in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back