Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

43p suddenly crawling.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a 43p running 4.3, which was a jackrabbit a couple weeks ago, I am not used to this os, using primarily sun....Anyway, now it takes 3-4 minutes to display the splash screen and 15-20 minutes to come up to CDE after log in. Where before it was taking 2 minutes max. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Only changes lately are the addition of the bash shell and netscape to the base install.

figured it out using the three step method....1 bang head against wall for many hours....2. post question on public forum...3 answer will come immediately to you following you pressing the submit button...never fails.

Maybe some BASIC extras:

1.run "monitor -s 2" to see what is buisy - memory,disks,etc
2.run "monitor -top 10 -s 2" to find out 10 top heaviest processes.
3.Try rebooting the system.
4.Run "vmstst 2" to observe the system behaviour - clearly you'll need a better system understanding to analize all the above... "Long live king Moshiach !"

3 minutes reminds of missing nameserver - configure your system to use correct nameserver (one which resolves both HostByName and HostByAddr) or configure your desktop not to use them -
netscape asked you to add nameserver, but you didnt mention it

Hello,

Very simple solution.
telnet into the system then
vi /etc/netsvc.conf
hosts=local,bind4

now CDE will come up in few seconds.
Everytime CDE is running. It has to do host to ip name resolution.
This is the reason CDE is taking long time.

I'm a big fan of the 3-step method. But since we use Apache, not Netscrap, you'll have to tell us what you did. We are all friends here. =)

Hi

try disabling cde then reboot.see what the effect is,or disable networks reboot see what effect is.this will help you narrow down your problem.cde is network bound.check you filesystems is not full,this will also create problems.

goodluck !!

Hello,
The explanation for 3 step method.
In order for CDE to work properly. The /./var and /tmp should not be full.
The other issue is networking has to work properly meaning, hostname to ip resolution has to take place. does not matter what you use to resolve host to ip address. either local host file, DNS or NIS.

By making this file i want to look at local host file first then the DNS.
This will fix the host to name resolution problem and CDE will come up in few seconds depending on /etc/host file is clean and does not have any typo error. plus vi is used to edit the file.

We moved the dns server to a different IP(actually, no one bothered to tell me about it) and it came to me while I was testing all connections to the box....I decided to try the nameservers IP instead of its name...and wham...no entry. The box had not been entered in the dns tables after it's move. So I entered it, and away we went. No configuration of the box necessary, just the dns table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back