Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

420 tcp write errors!!!!!! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnderWiggin123

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2005
US
I manage a small Microsoft network. We are using exchange 2000, surfcontrol and sonic firewall. We are having a problem when we recevie replys from just about anyone using Groupwise. When users reply to us they get a 420 TCP write error return message. This usually takes about 3 days to timeout and get back to them. I have seen several articles on the Novell side disscussing this issue but nothing that I can try on my side. I am pretty sure it has to be something over here as I now have 8 confirmed domains that are having the same issue sending to us. Any help would be great.

This problem seems to be mostly when the user replies to a message and not when they start a fresh message to us.

First of all I do not know if I would associate the 420 write error with replies rather than new mail. As you probably already know, a 420 read or write error is dealing with a timeout situation on the GW side. The GWIA reporting it was expecting to receive data (420 read error). Or the GWIA reporting it timed out trying to send data (420 write error).

I've heard of firewalls being misconfigured or bad routers causing this problem. I can offer no other help but to suggest you work with one or more of the GW Admins to setup a trace on e-mails that are initiated from a GW domain @ an agreed upon time. Best of luck. Would very much be interested in what you findout the problem to be.
Thanks!

FarOut
V-Peace-V

Do you have a way to disable your sonic firewall and surfcontrol temporarily? That way you could find out if they are contributing to the problem.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Have one of the Groupwise sites create a route.cfg file in their GWIA folder and include an entry similar to the one below, which resolves to the IP address of your Exchange server.

fakecompany.com [192.168.168.1]

Have you had luck with this problem. I'm sending from a groupwise 6.0 sp4 site to a Lotus Notes operation and the messages seem to get there but attachments of "word or excel" documents get "transfer delayed" messages before they're kicked back.
The Lotus notes guy says we are the only one with trouble and of course they're (lotus notes) the only ones we have this trouble with.

Thanks

Bruce

GWIA is pretty aggressive about getting bytes out the door.
Too many TCP re-transmits cause these errors to pile up.
Since mail always seems to make it through, Id call it cosmetic, but caused by a slow receiver or tough proxy or firewall.

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

I have this problem too. Let me know what solves it for you. I've tried everything

There are a lot of different reasons that could cause TCP errors.. You pretty much have to troubleshoot on an individual basis. One answer doesn't fit all problems.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back