Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

408 control unit using IP sets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinorhino

Vendor
Aug 29, 2022
US
Died the IPO older units like three 408 and IPO 500 require Endpoints for IP based phone sets to work liked they do on the IPO 500v2?

IPO500v1 is the same as the v2 so end point licences needed. If you can get older v1 VCMs you get 12 free licences.

IPO 400s were a long time ago but I recall you did nor need licences for the 4600 series phone - not sure about later models.

I often wondered why there was a charge for endpoints for IP sets but no charge for digital sets.

The cost for the licenses are really not that expensive but if you have an older system with an IP you can't get an endpoint license. With digital you can use them on any of the releases.

I would think they would have just factored in the cost of the IP license with the cost of the set like they did with the digital sets.

Anyone have any thoughts on this considering other manufacturers don't charge for endpoint licenses for their IP sets

With a DS8 card you can have a maximum of 8 sets but with a VCM you could have at least 32 or 64 sets (the actual figure is slightly more complicated).

Manufacturers seem to vary and possibly charge for digital and analogue sets.

if you have digital or analog ports then you purchased the right to use when paying for the system hardware while your IP phones do need a license since Release 5.0 IIRC

before that you needed licenses to have the VCM channels active in the VCM modules. So 4.2 and older you could have 100 IP phones on only a handful of VCM channels which could cause issues with making calls from the IP sets if there was no free channel available.

Was great for systems that had a lot of phones but not a lot of calls though :)

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

History now but I looked this up out of curiosity. It seems the change come in R6.0 looking at TB115:

Avaya IP Telephone licensing: IP500 and IP500v2 ONLY

In IP Office Release 6.0 all Avaya IP telephones will need to be licensed (this
includes desktop phones like 5600, 1600 or 9600 IP phones as well as wireless
phones like 3600 and 3700 series). Digital phones will not be licensed. This applies
to IP500 and IP500v2 only. IP406v2 and IP412 systems will not require IP Telephone
licenses for Avaya IP Phones.

Removal of VCM channel licenses: In order to reduce product complexity, all VCM
licenses will also be removed. VCM 32 and VCM 64 cards will always deliver 32 and
64 channels respectively (subject to existing codec restrictions). Each VCM 32 and
VCM 64 card comes with 12 Avaya IP endpoint licenses enabled. Once the system is
upgraded the license will show in the IP Office configuration as a “VCM Channel
Migration License”.

Note: The Combination card does not come with any Avaya IP endpoint licenses.[/i]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back