Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

404 Error when requesting .NET page

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater267

Programmer
Apr 6, 2005
Hey,

My team just built a fresh server using Win 2003 Server and when i install my .NET web service project from the msi, it installs fine, however when i try to request a page, i get the '404 page not found' error.

The page does in fact exist. Even if i goto the directory with browsing enabled, i see the asmx file and when i click it , i get that error.

i checked the 'configuration' button in IIS to see that the .asmx extension is listed in application mappings (as well as other .NET ones). i can view other file types , but not .NET related ones.

Any ideas what the problem is?

I use 2003 for our staging server and whenever I put a website on it, I always had to right click on the website node (in iis manager) and choose configure server extensions. This would then open a web-based app that would allow you to configure the site. After I would do that, my sites seemed to work ok.

Not too sure if it's the right answer, but it may help if you haven't tried it already.

How many ip addresses do you have mapped to the server (is the web site set as "All Unassigned")? Are you using any http headers to get there?

I've never installed a web project from an MSI though.

I had exactly the same problem. After about an hour of investigation I found that Win2003 is a little more stingy on permissions. so I had to allow ASP.netto execute.

To do this go
start -> run -> inetmgr

expand your server and go down to web service extentions

Find the asp.net v?.?.???? in the list that you are having a problem with and highlight it

click allow.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back