Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

401 Authorization Required from 1 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jferrante

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
US
Hello all,
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 up and running. Everything works fine. 3 PC's peer to peer. All XP Pro.
From one workstation I'm getting this message when trying to access the router:

401 Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access. Either you supplied the wrong credentials(e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required

Any ideas? I'm also having trouble accessing a few web pages. They open to a blank document. One is the Misrosoft Partners site logon (Passport). Are they related??

Thanks in advance

One more thing. I can access everythings fine using Mozilla. If anyone can point me to my problem with IE, I'd appreciate it.
Jeff

if it will be the settings of IE...make sure that under the Connections tab of the Internet Options, it's set to Never Dial a Connection. Remove also Proxy Servers or any LAN Settings enabled.

IE is set to never dial. There are no proxy servers listed.

IE, Tools, Internet Options:

. Under Security, Local Intranet, Custom Level, set the Username and Password authentication to always prompt for username and password;

. Under Advanced, enable all SSL levels.

bcastner,
Nice try, but no luck. I'm not sure what happened at this workstation. I'm running Spybot and I did an "undo" on the immunize setting. I've disabled my firewall and anti-virus. Disabled "I hate popups". Any other ideas? I can't logon to the MS Partner site and a few others either. I know it's just this computer. All others here work fine. This is not critical, just a big nuisance. If this happens to one of my clients, I'd sure like to know the solution without reloading the operating system.
Thanks,
Jeff

go to internet options >> security . local intranet , custom level and reset to medium low, and ok , also do the same for internet but set that to medium. also if you are using win98 and IE 6.0 that could be the problem . I dunno but the combo of that Os and the browser seems to have problems with the router or the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back