Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4006 supervisor and powersupplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

eurobadger

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
GB
Hi All

Does anyone have any knowledge of problems with Catalyst 4006 when the mains power fails? I am interested in failures of Supervisor 2 cards and/or power supplies causing the switch not to restart after power is restored.

Thanks
EB

just recently I had 1 of my 2 power supplies fail in a 4006. I did not notice the first day, but the second day the 4006 was resetting the line cards. My understanding is that 2 power supplies share the load, and you do not have a backup unless you have a third pwr supply

Correct... the 4006's ship with 2 power supplies, each putting out 100% power to supply the switch load, 3 will load balance accross all 3 at like 67% power from each (less stress on each?) I have 2 4006's in each closet... I have mine configured with 1 power cord from each into 2 UPS's and the 3rd into the wall... so if 1 UPS fails the switches stay up, if the main power fails they stay up... kinda double redundency...

-Mike

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. The issue was not really power supply redundancy/resiliency. The client concerned has decided for reasons of his own not to impliment it.

The concern is that, following an apparently simple failure of the mains into the box, we have seen instances of the Sup II cards failing and the switch not rebooting. Our SLAs do not allow time for research, we are driven to swap what is required to recover connectivity and move on.

I am pressing the client to install UPSs and proper redundancy startegies like you have suggested so the power failures do not cause disruption in the first place, and was hoping to get some comments that would lend weight to that argument.

EB

Well, tell the client worse case he's not interested in the UPS as a backup power source, think of it as a giant line conditioner, would he want a power surge to blow out his 10-30k switch? (per switch)

My Switches are on emergency circuits that switch over to generator if the mains fail, but Do I trust that it will work? Nope... I'll rely on my APC2200's...

As for switches not booting backup properly, the only time I could possibly see it as a problem is if the bootflash got corrupted or something and wouldn't boot... I have never had any problems with the switches not coming back up properly and I tested it on one today before I left... it came up fine...

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back