Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

400 on Handheld devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieCairns

Programmer
Apr 2, 2003
US
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but wanted another programmers perspective...

We're implementing bar-coding in our warehouse. We will be getting some WiFi barcode readers. There are 3 basic types : PocketPC based, PalmOS based, and proprietory OS.

I run 5250 emulation on my PocketPC (handy when wandering around the plant), but to fit the entire screen on the display, I have to either scroll back and forth, or zoom out to the point where the font is too small to be easily read. I've heard the same issues apply to the PalmOS based units. Just a matter of screen real estate...

Here's where the question is - Should I try to create display files to run on the reduced size screens of the BarCode devices (ie only use the top left quarter of the screen), or do I go proprietory, and get one with a basic PC program interface, and try to come up with some ODBC/SQL link between the two systems? Whatever solution we adopt, it needs to be real-time communication with the 400, or at least near real-time, as the updates can really affect our orber/backorder situation...

Thanks in advance for your views,

Jamie

Have you searched for technology on this? A great place to ask this would be at midrange.com. There is over a thousand people across the world that have expertise in every area of computing. I know there are many people here as well, but unfortunatly, only a handful of us are actually active.

iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux.

We developed custom screens to fit the small screen size. Management felt the users should be able to look at the screen and see the information without having to scroll, having to scroll around would slow them down.
Our scanners are wireless and are used to track inventory in real-time.

T. Bishop

Thomas

Thanks - we were leaning towards a "no-scroll" solution for exactly those reasons.

I take from your explanation that you went with the 400 emulation route, rather than the PC Software interface. What kind of handheld H/W and emulation S/W did you use ?

Jamie

The hardware is made by Symbol, I believe the model number is 6840. They do 5250 emulation, the 5250 software came with the scanner but may have been a seperate purchase from the same vendor.

T. Bishop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back