Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

40 second delay in sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poofa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2005
US
Anyone,

I am running Linux Fedora Core 3. I use sendmail 8.1.3.1 I view email through outlook. When sending outgoing mail there's a 40 second delay. Even when using telnet to connect to port 25 I get the same delay.

Is the client Windows XP SP2?

If so, allow port 113 inbound on the XP machine, and this should resolve your problem.

Hi Poofa,

I have posted a possibel solution to your post in the linux server forum.

In future please do not post the same question in two fora; this practice is not encouraged on tek-tips.

Anyway, to summarize my reply, it could be a DNS problem. Are you using named on the same machine? check your /etc/resolv.conf file.

Sendmail is delaying because it tales long time to check the recipient.

Check alos your /etc/hosts file and make sure that your machine is identified correctly with a fully qualified domain name and if you do not have one, then set it to localhost.localdomain and not just localhost.

Cheers

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back