Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4 x users to connect to work lan, suggestions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prophotodx

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
I need to set up 4 separate desktop computers at my work to be able to be connected to via RDC or another program. I would like to keep it a little more secure than usual. How secure is XP's RDC?

I am currently able to connect there to my computer, but now 3 more people want to be able to connect. I am unsure how this would work since 3389 is being forwarded to my computer, and not the others.

Is there a better, inexpensive, and secure! program/way to set this up?

Thanx!

DBX
(Try it my way, it might work...)

Hi, you might want to try Openvpn it runs on windows and linux. It uses ssl encrytion and you would not need to do port forwarding.

It seems as if I need to have a linux server to use this product, is that the case? I want to be able to have 4 people rdp access from xp to xp. Please advise.

DBX

Using RD, you can change the listening ports, so that each machine is different.
Then you'll need to forward the ports through your router/firewall/gateway as appropriate & set the clients to use the correct port assignments
This is a resonable option for only 4 machines, but if you have many more, you might want to look for a different solution.

I didn't think you could change 3389? I did change the other port, but what do I do about 3389? I need to forward 2 ports to every computer right?

DBX

RD on XP only requires 1 port - 3389 by default. For your 4 machines, I would use 3387, 3388, 3389, & 3390 following the instructions linked above.

...so how do I secure it?

DBX

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you want to secure the other 3 more than the 1 connection that you're already using? What are you trying to secure it from - keyloggers on the remote client, packet sniffing as they're transmitted across the internet, something else? RD transmissions are encrypted & require usernames & passwords.

i Have 50 + computers all using RD from home connecting to different ports on there work station. Just change the port number in the registery and forward to that lan address. Much better than VNC :/>

Its been so long since I set this up I can't seem to remember how I did it! I have two different ports being forwarded to the host computer. The one port allows connection through internet explorer. And I can only seem to connect with a browser to this port. If I use RDC on the client computer and try to connect to that port it does not work. Does this make sence?

DBX

You only need to use 1 port (3389 by default) and the Remote Desktop Client software; no web broswer needed. What you are describing is using Terminal Services & IIS which adds an unneccesary level of complexity for this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back