Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4 port USB KVM Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knackster

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2007
US
Good morning Campers,

I've decided it's finally time for me to get a KVM for my desk. At any given time, I can have up to 4 lab servers running in my office and I need the extra desktop space.

Here are some basic requirements:

I've got a wireless Logitech keyboard that I love. It has the funtion keys that I use a lot. THe KVM must be able to pass those programmable funtion key codes through to the end server.

This same keyboard does not have a scroll lock, so iNeed another hot key to use, user programmable would be a huge plus.

I do not need ethernet or audio switching.

MUST work with wireless mouse and keyboard.

If any of you can recommend something that you like and use all the time, that would be great.

Thanks,

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

I normal KVM with the wireless usb plugged in, and drivers setup on each computer would work.

Drivers are not an issue ( or shouldn't be) and it does need to be able to be switched from system to system vua a hot-key as I want the KVM out of site ( and off of my dekstop)

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

I use an old Belkin Omni View pro 8-port.
I use a USB to PS2 adapter for both the keyboard and mouse
The keyboard functions had no issues
I also use a USB to PS2 keyboard/PS2 mouse splitter/adapter for laptops (they also work great for Dell computers without PS2 ports)

I know they make newer KVM's that use USB...that maybe want you want to use.

one piece of advice...only use a KVM that is powered. unpowered KVM's don't work all that great

you may have an issue using Logitech devices...I switched to MS devices because I had less issues with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back