Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4 mile wifi connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnacomputers

Technical User
Apr 16, 2005
US
we want to connect my home to work using a wifi connection but dont understand the technology at our disposal,

work has two (bt up to 20mb (6.5) adsl connections), the servers that i need to access (sad workaholic that i am), on a full 1ghz lan, with our voip connection

home has std bt rural (up to 8mb (2.5) adsl connection, full 1ghz wired to router for voip etc.

what i want to do is connect both of MY own networks via a wireless connection acros nearly 4 miles on near line of sight, preferably using dlink, orinoco, 3com, ap\routers that i already have, plus proper external directional and or omni aerials, that we already have,

problem is do i need to set up as aps or repeaters or just leave as wireless routers but when i do the last i cant find any extra wireless networks than i already have on my laptop, the theory is that the potential transmit\receive rate would be the aps(whatever) conection rate

regards adrian

You'd probably do better to ultimately set up two APs in Bridge Mode. However, by initially setting them up as basic Access Points, you'll be able to check signal strength of the remote device using, say, Netstumbler. Once you've established a good connection, then change to Bridge Mode. Then they'd just be wired into the networks at each end.

Whilst 4 miles is nowhere near the record for a WiFi link, near line of sight, to quote you, may not be good enough.

I am currently working on a hobby project to get a link over 1.5 miles, and although the APs can detect each other's signals, they're nothing like strong enough to get a solid connection. At the moment, I believe height is our main issue. Aerials (yagis) are both at about 30ft above ground, but it is believed a couple of roofs and one or two trees need 'shifting'!

I am planning to use a dish antenna to get more gain, and see if this will help us...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Why does it have to be wireless? Why not a secure VPN? I can connect to my employers servers they are spread around the globe.

VPN is your better solution as WiFi even at short distances can drop out. Even if you want to attempt that range then you might need to get FCC involved.

Although the 4 mile connection can be done, the question really is “does it make sense”? With today’s technology, rclarke250’s suggestion is the right direction to go here, do a secure VPN connection back to the office. Depending upon what network equipment you have at the office end, all you may need is a small VPN concentrator. If you have a robust router, this function could be incorporated into the router itself.

If you are trying to save money by using the wireless routers/AP’s you already have, you really need to consider the entire process and what all is involved. You will need highly directional antennas mounted up high, connected to the wireless devices with a good quality cable (not the small cable that comes with external antenna kits). All of this costs money.
You will need to take into consideration the path between the office and your home. There could be elevation differences, trees, buildings, or other obstructions that would interfere with the propagation of this signal. For reliability, a proper path analysis should be completed.
You also need to be concerned with your office network security. If you interconnected your home and business office networks with consumer grade wireless devices, you couple potentially open yourself up for security breaches.

If wireless is the only option, I would look to a device that has been manufactured for the specific purpose.

dberg35 makes a great point about the FCC... Every country restricts how much power you can place in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio spectrums. By kludging together a set up that works, you could be breaking the law. You need a qualified installer to design a solution that will meet your needs.

PSC
[—] CCNP (R&S/Wireless) [•] CCSP [•] MCITP: Enterprise Admin [•] MCSE [—]

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Take a look at the products Ubiquiti is offering (ubnt.com) or perhaps Mikrotik. They are making it very affordable to the Line of Sight over microwave for 'everyone' you and me.

I've done this with Cisco Aironets and with 3Com radios. I had to have line of sight. Close didn't count. Once I had some trees removed, all went well. (Yes, my company owned the trees). It's not bad, but weather can affect it. Wired is much more reliable and faster.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back