Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.5.1 SP1 Update Configuration Change to 4000 PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skully620

Programmer
Jul 17, 2003
US
I need to change the update settings of 4.5.1 sp1 on about 4000 PC's on our Network. From @ Start up w/ 20 min delay to Daily @ 09:00 W/ A 04:00 Randomization period. I have tried changeing the settings on a clean PC then exporting an .ini file out via MSI_INST.EXE, used wise script editor to create an sms adevertisement to import the settings into the Networked PC's, Tests shows the changes took effect, but the auto update feature fails to run on all of our text machines.

Any Idea's?????

We have the same problem here. Do you have any ideas or solutions until now?

Thanks for your help
Dominik

With a Network that large I would highly recommend EPO. A config change using EPO is a matter of changing one policy and clicking "Agent Wakeup Call" and you have changed 4000 machines.

I ended up creating another install package using the .msi configuration tool that McAfee has on their website. First I used Wise Package Studio's Script Editor to call Msiexec.exe from C:\WINDOWS\system32 (Win XP) and C:\WINDOWS\System (Win 9X) to uninstall McAfee 4.5.1 SP1, then reinstall the newly created package with the updated settings. Because the package was a little over 20 megs, We had to stagger the SMS push to our workstations in segments so that our Bandwith wouldnt wouldnt be bottlenecked. It took about an hour to create the uninstall-reninstall packages and about a week and half to have it deployed to all the workstations. At this point in time it looks as though the rollout completed with very minimal problems.

Uh..got the solution in the NAI KB:

Title : AutoUpdate / AutoUpgrade task fails after changing settings with MSI_INST
Solution ID : nai27404 Last Modified : 5 MAR 2003

Goal and/or Problem Description : AutoUpdate / AutoUpgrade task fails after changing settings with MSI_INST
Invalid data appears in the registry Domain, Username, Password information contains the VirusScan install path
AutoUpdate task fails AutoUpgrade task fails

Problem Environment : McAfee VirusScan 4.5.1 SP1

Changes affecting this problem : Using MSI_INST to import settings.

Cause of this problem : Failed to use the /PRESERVE switch with MSI_INST.

Solution 1:
Use the /PRESERVE switch when exporting (/EXPORT) to the desired .INI file. This tells MSI_INST.EXE to set a switch in the resulting .INI file that will adjust paths when the Custom Installation Creator or another VirusScan installation imports a new .INI file. This will update any paths that point to executables and log files to reflect the current installation.
NOTE: You may use this option only with the /EXPORT option; it will not work with the /IMPORT option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back