Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.2 UMS vs. IMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinsd

MIS
Apr 17, 2008
US
After reading the docs re: 4.2, I'm debating switching from IMS to UMS. I have some questions for anyone who's used both.

1. How is the performance compared to IMS? With IMS, users with large mailboxes and lots of folders have to wait a while when first opening Outlook. I'd imagine having a direct IMAP connection with the vm server would be much more efficient.

2. Since IMAP is a separate account in Outlook, do you have to set send/receive for it? With Exchange accounts, mail is pushed directly, so no need for send/receive.

3. Has anyone asked Avaya about a credit or trade in for IMS? The license was about $1500, which should be equivalent to about 50 UMS users.

to 1. sounds correct but probably needs to be seen
to 2. no idea sorry
to 3. rebate or trade in sounds great, I tried that with Microsoft I asked them to take the old Windows XP back and get me Vista for cheaper but nobody seems to be willing to do that, I guess Avaya will do the same thing as you can still do either one, but nothing official is out yet.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

I have asked them as of last week and there was no official return policy in place. You may be able to get your distributor to take the whole key back and reissue the licenses you need. Depends on how long it has been installed.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

There was talk of an IMS>UMS upgrade but not seen anything concrete

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

no you do not have to hit the send/receive, it automatically goes into the new inbox you create

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back