Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3d Acceleration and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

realm174

Programmer
Jan 3, 2002
CA
Computer is Acer Aspire E700
Running Vista Home Premium SP2
Video card is ATI X1800 (or ATI 4670, same issue)
Driver is ATI v9.8

So here's the issue. When i install the driver, do a dxdiag, Acceleration is "enabled". I reboot the computer (complete shutdown, power off and back on), Acceleration is Disabled, with no option to turn it back on. That happens 100% of the time. I reinstall the video drivers, all is good, Acceleration is back on. I turn off the computer again (or even just a Restart), and the acceleration is gone again.

I did uninstall all traces of ATI drivers that I could find (driver cleaner, scanned registry and all), and restarted with just the Windows drivers installed, and the same thing happens, ie, when the drivers are freshly installed, 3D Acceleration is there. If I restart the computer, 3d is not on, and not available.

I did try all of the above on both video cards listed, and I get the exact same problem.

Any idea anyone?

Cheers,

Realm174

I think the problem is that Vista only supports DirectX 10 and you have a DirectX 9 card. However, you can check the link below for a few more things to try. If all that fails, then consider upgrading your card. You can buy decent ATI HD 4000 series models for well under $100.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

try the ati 9.3 driver, that should work

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Lemon13: I tried the 9.3 drivers, that still didn't fix it.

cdogg: I've tried the steps outlined (the ones that applied to Vista anyhow) and still no go. I might invest in another card, I'm hoping it will be the cure. I'm still confused as to why Acceleration would get enabled when I install the drivers, and get disabled upon restart. That's just strange in itself...

Cheers,

Realm174

You're right, it is strange that it shows Acceleration enabled after the drivers are installed. I can't explain that.

The following ATI Radeon HD 4650 card is a steal right now at $40:

Just make sure you jump on that before the end of the month while it lasts. With 1GB of 128-bit DDR2, it is better than many $60-70 cards out there.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks cdogg. I actually have an ASUS 4670 (see original message, although my bad, I called it an ATI! :) )

I have the same problem with the 4670, plus the fact that I also need to have the software acceleration program from ASUS (I can't remember exactly what it's called.. something doctor), which provides some level of acceleration, but still nothing through dxdiag, so quite a few apps complain about it.

Cheers,

Realm174

Well, just a quick update, I went with plan C... I upgraded to Windows 7. Interestingly enough the problem described above disappeared, regardless of which card I am using. So I guess something must have happened to Vista that it didn't like either card I had...

Cheers,

Realm174

Have you got the ATI Catalyst Control Centre installed and does that not give you any indication of a probel with 3D?

Regards: Terry

Terry: I had the CCC installed, never had any indication of any problem in there. The only indication I had was that some applications that required 3D Acceleration would not work, and dxdiag was saying that it was unavailable. The Troubleshooting tab in the display properties had a message stating something along the lines of "Your current driver does not allow modifications" or something like that.

As stated in my other message tho, installing Windows 7 fixed the problem for me. So, something tells me that Vista just didn't like ATI for some reason.. :)

Cheers,

Realm174

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back