Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3COM WAP 8760 - Untagged VLAN 1 switch question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlandas

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2007
US
Please, I see some active forum members here.

I know this is a simple question but I'm still filling in my knowledge of VLANs. I have created 2 VLANs to host a WEP network for guests to our campus. The new subnetworks are blocked from accessing IPs on my currently untagged VLAN 1. This all seems to be working great.

However, with the 3COM WAP 8760 when you turn on the Filter Control, in order for it to place traffic onto separate VLANs based on which Virtual Radio Profile is used, it automatically changes to using all tagged VLANs. So what normally was coming from my WPA secured radio on untagged VLAN 1 automatically becomes tagged VLAN 1.

I roughly understand the difference between tagged and untagged but my simple questions is this. If there is no way to tell the 8760 to use untagged VLAN for just VLAN 1 what is my simplest solution and what is entailed.

I assume the answer would be to tag all ports in VLAN 1 so they all become tagged members of VLAN 1. My gap in understanding is if anything needs to be changed from my WAN providers side? I don't control my external router/switch and they simple provide me a subnet and tell me the default gateway. If I change my VLAN 1 to tagged instead of untagged will they need to change their equipment to accept tagged VLAN 1?

My core switches are 5500G-EI, my stacks are all 4400s and my APs are all 8760 with the latest firmware.

I know, this is a simple question but it's the last gap in my implementation and I could use a hand over this hurdle.

Please guys, even a jab in the right direction might be all I need to finish this project and offer both WPA secured LAN access and guest level WEP access to the Internet. Thank you.

I think you'll need VLAN routing, from the tagged VLAN to the untagged VLAN were the router is in.
Your VLAN IP adress from the switch will then be your gateway adress.

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Thank you for the help.

Some of this is so simple that I actually over think it. Your comment steered me in the right direction and I'm up and running.

Since static routes are configured for both vlans/subnets, all I had to do was also most the AP's Ethernet port as a tagged member of VLAN 1 and it can be managed and allow traffic through my WPA secured virtual radio.

I don't know why I didn't think it worked on Friday. I must have mis-tested it.

Thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it.

Glad that it worked out..:-D

ps..stars can be given here...:p

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back