Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com Vs intel network card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

par35h

Technical User
Jul 21, 2005
EU
Hi,

I have a very strange problem and I am not sure if anyone has everyseen something like this.

I have a P.C which has a Intel Pro 10/100VE network card. Which is connected to are new 3Com SuperStack 4 Switch 5500-SI 52-Port Software Version 3Com OS V3.01.04s56. But am having a problem trying to send data down to another P.C. The P.C cable lenght is only 95 meter P.C to Network switch. Even at this lenght i keep getting errors and droping pings

But if i install any other intel Pro 10/100 network the P.C seems to be fine and working with no errors.

For example

when using the Intel Pro 10/100VE network card in the space of 10 minutes it built up about 60 errors.

but when i installed a intel Pro 10/100+ i saw no errors.

It seems to me that the network card (which is set on auto sence) is strugging at talking to the 5500 at 100mbps and reverts to 10 and then seems to be find and trys to go back to 100 and fail and then back to 10 and its ok etc etc.

Has anyone come across this problem before with these to devices talking to each other on the network.

Many Thanks
Par35h

You could have a bad card or patch cord.

Have you tried the card in another machine/location to see if the problem follows?

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back