Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com Switch Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBones

Technical User
Mar 13, 2004
US
Hello,
Sorry for asking such a newbie question but our school tech department is moving slow and I would like to take matters into my own hands. The kids need to learn.
-I have a LAN and am using a 3Com 3300XM Switch
-There are 12 computers hooked up to it.
-Two have some how disconnectted themsevles from the LAN. There is one computer that monitors the other eleven. Now for some reason two of them are not communicating with the teachers computer while the others are working fine.
- My question is, Where can someone find information on how to solve such a problem ?
- I have checked all cables and other than this communication problem putes are working fine.
Thank you for any help/comments

This problem sounds to me like an IP addressing problem, the computers that have lost thier connection are no longer addressed to the same subnet as the rest. With only knowing the little pieces of information provided it is making it a little harder to trouble shoot. Some good information to find out:

Are the stations using DHCP, if not are all addresses staticly assigned.

Is this LAN totaly stand alone? No other network devices except the switch you have your PC's connected to.

Does the monitor computer attach itself to the other computers via IP or hostname.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back