Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com SuperStack II question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordynn

Technical User
Dec 25, 2002
US
All,
I have the following setup:

DSL Modem (Linksys BEFSR41 ver2 4-Port router)
|
| <-- Straight-through cable
|
Router (WAN Port)
Router (LAN Port)
| |
| |---------- Computer
|
| <-- Straight-through cable
|
3Com Superstack II (Hub)
| |
| |-----Computer
|
Computer

I'm not sure where the problem is related so I'm hitting this forum and the LinkSys forum also.

The problem is when I connect the cable from the router to the 3Com hub I get no light indicator and of course no signal either. I've used a straight-through & cross-over cable plugged into the UpLink and regular ports in the router in case I was missing something there also. I have tested all cables, connections, etc. individually but can't for the life of me figure out the problem. I have also replaced the 3Com with other brands, etc. to no avail. If I pull out the hub and use just a straight-through in a regular port then I can hit everything fine so it has something to do with the connection between the two devices.

Is there something I'm missing here? I know it's going to be so very basic, so be gentle on me if you see it as plain as day. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi...

I remember I had a similar problem with several 3Com components once at work. The problem was that all components were set on &quot;autodetect&quot; (this bandwith/duplex thingy.. 10Mbit/s, 100Mbit/s, half/full duplex etc.).

So all components tried to detect the bandwith/duplex mode and none of them had an answer for it.. and nothing really worked. I solved the problem by configuring these settings on one of the components.

On the other hand... if you don't even get a physical link it doesn't sound like that problem but I also don't remember if I got a link as I had these problem (it's a long time ago).

I hope this helps...

Cya

Dread

This does sound like an autonegotiation issue.

You do not say what model of 3Com hub is in use, but the issues are the same anyway.

Ensure the lan port on the DSL is set to either 10BASE-T half duplex or 100BASE-T half duplex, you use a crossed UTP cable and there is no autoMDIX enabled on the router.

If the hub is of the managed type check the settings on it and the stats on the uplink port from the hub to router.

The 3com hub works using standard autonegotiation called Nway, Check that the router is the same.

If the 3Com SuperStack Hub is an older 10Mb shared 12 or 24 port hub then port 12 or 24 can be used as a crossover port to connect it to another hub/switch. When used as a crossover port use a straight through cable a press the recessed switch next to the port (labeled: DIX/MDIX), you will see a green link light when it is connected correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back