Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com 4900-SX VLAN routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

joh9356

Technical User
Jun 5, 2006
US
I have set up the procedures for VLANing according to 3COm's support as follows:

Note: To enable routing 1st you have to assign an IP to your VID's and then enable routing/RIP: Example for the 4900: telnet into the switch, go to: Protocol, IP, Interface, Add. It will ask you for the IP, Subnet, and will ask you to assign it to the VID you want - select the approriate VID, assign as Primary or Secondary - now it's entered. Do a summary to ensure your new configuration is added. Note: When looking at the summary, by default, the index 1 & 2 are the IP of your switch and the SLIP for the Console port - don't change. 2) Now you have to enable routing: on the 4900 - go to: Protocol, IP, RIP, Mode - by default it's disabled, ENABLE. Your now routing.

I have done this.

I have two subnets:

191.1.1.x
and
191.1.5.x

I know they are unorthodox subnets, that's not this issue.

Everything is set up exactly as 3Com describes above, I am on subnet 191.1.1x, but I still cannot ping 191.1.5.x subnet, can anyone please help?

Sounds like a default gateway problem to me...if your default gateway on 191.1.1.x is not aware of the route to 191.1.5.x then you're not going to get there. I suggest you either add a static route on the default gateway, or on the PCs from .1 that need to get out.
- I hope this is helpful.
-HH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back