Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com 4400se console issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rucifa

Technical User
Jan 13, 2010
AU
Hi,

I recently bought 3x 3Com 4400se Superstack 3 switches from an auction house.

I downloaded the manual and have been trying to access the setup of the switches. I've tried 169.254.100.100/16 with my PC configured to 169.254.100.99/16 as per the manual. I'm guessing that the previous owner set up a static IP address on the switch so this would be why I can't access the interface this way.

I have tried to get in via serial connection with the settings again supplied in the manual using PuTTY but I never get to the login screen. I just get a blank console screen that is non-responsive. I have tried this on all three of the switches and no joy. I was going to try and download the net detector software from 3Coms webstite but figured if I don't know what ip range the switch is in I've got no chance of getting it to work.

Is there by some chance another way to reset the switch?, maybe something inside the case? or is there some other tricks I need to try to get PuTTY to work?

When you start putty - you chose serial connection, and at the bottom choose the settings for it. In the manual I see 19200 baud rate - and when I tried as a result I get an empty screen.

Usually when I connect to the cisco switchees throug the console cable I put there 9600 baud rate - may be this is the problem

Another idea is tha you using incorrect cable - in the manual as I remember on the page 62 or so there is a pinout for the Switch-to-PC cable. Try that.

Also, make sure you set the flow control to "none". I find some devices give you a blank screen with any other setting.

Thanks Guys,

VinceWhirlwind, I've double checked the flow control is on none each time, but thanks for trying to help out.

jagermeister1987, I've had a look at the manual and the pin outs, maybe I have a different manual as it's age 81, I did try a different cable but no idea what pins outs either cable has. Will have to try and borrow a multimeter and find out.

I ended up connecting the switch to my adsl router and it managed to asign an IP address, (not sure why the 169.254.100.99/100 thingo didn't work, as it was set up to use DHCP and failing that it should have assigned itself 169.254.100.100 according to the manual). Luckily the previous owner hadn't changed the manager/manager settings so I can do some basic configurations but none of the security features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back