Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3com 4400 Series - SNMP errors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

umhguy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2005
US
Good Day all. We have many many 4400 stacks throughout our campus with a core of 4050's. We are running version 6.21 of code on the 4400's. We are seeing an issue where out of the blue the switches stop allowing management. If you console/telnet to the switch, you'll get a login prompt. Once you login, it'll display the first menu and then disconnect. If you web into the unit it will spit out the following error after you login:

"Error in SNMP read. Failed to get system information."

and then stops loading the web page.

A simple reboot corrects the problem for a short period.

Has anyone else seen this issue before? 3Com is of really no help at this point.

Thanks!!

-J

Have you contacted 3Com Technical support? This kind of issue can be escalated. Please let me know.

Techi guy from 3Com.

Yes i have. I have all kinds of product engineers working on it and as of yet we have no answers (2 Months). It seems to boil down to the 3Com Network Director software is bombing out the switches.

Out of 30 or so switches, we have FOUR that can be managed right now.

Hello
I have about 125 of the 4400 switches and also some older versions, the 1100 and the 3300 model which also stops communicating via the snmp. And not even the serial management port works.
I have opened a case at the 3Com techn. eng. These guys have asked for a capture of the traffic between my 3Com Network Director and the switches. This capture is already uploaded. So hopefully they will soon respond to this very serious problem.
I have tried to downgrade to an older firmware at some of the switches. The problem is still there after a while.
My question is: Is anyone aware of how far 3Com is in solving this problem?????

They asked me for the same exact thing. The trace was totally useless to them. They said they didn't see anything that would cause an issue. Funny thing is this. I had a maint. window on Dec 14th which i used to reboot all the switches. During this time i also shutdown the 3com Network Director software we had running that was monitoring the switches and doing a discovery every 2 hours. Since i've done this, not a single switch has exhibited the problem. Are you running the network director software?

I am running 3Com Network Director ver. 2.0, Sp1

Try shutting it down. Like i said in my previous post, i haven't had an issue with my switches since turning it off. Lemme know how it turns out if you decide to do that.

I have now restarted the 3Com Network Director.

The problem is exactly the same.

Not restart, shut it down completely.

You will also need to reboot your switches to restore them to a useful state. After the reboot of your switches, keep network director off for a while and see if the problem crops back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back