Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3com 4400 and netgear GSM7224 switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2005
GB
Hi,

A quick question, we have 4 4400's stacked in a rack with 2 more connected via fibre by one of the expansion modules at the back ( 10/100) we have just had a few new servers that have gigabit nic's and have purchased a gigabit switch (netgear gsm 7224 ) at the moment i've just connected the gigabit switch into the 10/100 networt via a patch cable from a port on the netgear to another port on the 3com, I know this is not ideal, but it was the fastest way to get it up an running, what i would like to do ( if this is possible ) is purchase a gigabit module and put it in one of the unoccupied expansion slots on the 4400 and then connect it to the netgear via one of the fibre connections on the front of the switch.

My question's are....

Is this possible?
and also
Is this the best way to do this...?

If anyone has any better ideas could you let me know please.

Thanks in advance,

Mick.

I am not sure how many slots you have open but the single port 1000baseSX fiber module is part number 3C17221.

I don't know if you have $$$ but you should look at your setup to make sure you are not wasting the GigABit by having a 10/100 bottleneck in your backbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back