Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com 4007 Roving Analysis Shows Only Traffic to or from a node

Status
Not open for further replies.

reonp

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2004
ZA
I posted this ? on the 3Com Forum too, but with all the Sniffer Guru's on this forum - surely the answer is here !

Hi guys,

I want to sniff a roving analysis port on a 3Com 4007. I spanned a Monitored port onto the Analysis port (same blade).
When i analyse the connection layer on Sniffer I found traffic only from or to a device.
I spanned a Server port with only one interface (so traffic has to flow in and out that port)and see only Out traffic.
The switch has the latest 3Com software installed.

What I did notice was that I could still communicate to the network via the Sniffer NIC. (According to 3Com you should not be able to do so)
Can you span a 100 Mbps Full Duplex Port on a 4007?

Anyone experienced this problem before?

If you are trying to see all the traffic going to or from a switch you need to use a tap between the switches. Spanning a port will still only show traffic to that particular port including any broadcasts but not to other ports on the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back