Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3Com 3C510 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

HemiCuda

Technical User
Dec 25, 2003
US
I have a 3com 3C510 router that I screwed up the firmware some time ago. I need to know what is needed to reset this thing so I can reload the firmware. I'm thinking I should be able to connect to it using hyper terminal but not sure what kind of cable I will need and how to reset it once connected. If someone could help please???

Hi! i Had the same problem with a smc router 7004 some
time ago.Didn't quite remember the procedure with what to shorten and stuff .
But knowing what to search for i came over this user input at practicallynetworked.com , and it was simular to what i did on the smc (bad fw loaded).
So try this procedure..

----
3C510 can be set to default specs if you have flashed it using another manufacturers firmware.
The trick is to short pins 3 and 8 while powering up the router, hold the wire, paper clip, or small pocket knife to the pins until the WAN light flashes quickly, then remove. You must have the original 3Com firmware which can be found on 3Com's site

ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/3c510/3c510cd.zip

Might take you a while to download (around 9.3 MB) but it may be worth your time. Place a network cable from your PC's network adapter into any jack in the front of the router, while the WAN light is flashing, run the Upgrade.exe file that is located in the Upgrade folder from the 3C510CD.zip file you downloaded and decompressed. The upgrade program should find the router as 192.168.2.1 browse for the file 3C510-189F.bin, then flash away. Remember you won't have access to the router after the flash using 192.168.2.1 if you used an AMIT or SMC firmware, check 192.168.123.254. After a successful flash, reboot the router, connect to it's config page and flash it using the newest firmware from 3Com or whoever you choose, but be careful :). All the 3Com software for the 3C510 can be found here --->

If you would like to change the IP back to 192.168.2.1, then click here --->

ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/3c510/resetpassip.htm

and follow the directions. You will need a null modem cable, in other words a serial cable with both ends being female, one for the PC, one for the router. If you don't get the router config page through Hyperterm just keep trying, you may have to be quick with the mouse when clicking connect after turning on the router, press enter a few times after connecting.
----

Thanks for your reply. I went to radio shack for the null modem cable. That was a mistake. He had that deer in the headlights look so I had to order one online. Hope it works.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back