Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3com 3300 switch and Efficient Networks 5861 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

icklemikey

Technical User
Aug 3, 2003
GB
Hi

I've have my 5861 router setup for a couple of months with no problems (other than firewall scripting but thats another story altogher).

I recently purchased a 3com 3300 switch from a guy on Ebay and I came to the conclusion this switch would be like an unmanaged switch and should work out of the box easily with the router (other than a little bit of setting port speeds, etc).

The problem I have is the switch or router don't seem to communicate properly (I have set the switch up but traffic does'nt seem to pass from the router to the switch). I've setup an old 10mb hub and there seems to be no problem with that. I've set the switch up with an IP address (192.168.254.253, which I can ping and responds), but I cannot ping the router (192.168.254.254, it does'nt respond). The switch and router are connected via a cross-over cable and have a link light. My PC is connected to the switch which also has a link light.

Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back