Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3CDSG8 no valid image, help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakob314

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
DK
After a recent powerfailure my 3CDSG8 switch doesn´t work anymore.
When I connect to the switch using serial connection all I get is this:

Booting ...
*** No valid image. Please load image via COM port.

There no mention on the 3com homepage on how to do this, and google didn´t help either. I´m having a little trouble logging into 3com support, so I thought I´d ask here in the forum.
I did manage to find a firmwarefile on 3com, but it seems that the switch must be operational to use the downloaded file.

Is anyone out there able to help me with this?

Did you check the troubleshooting section of the manual? If it is a firmware problem, talk to tech support. They will probably replace it. The 3CDSG8 must be a recent addition to the Office Connect group, so is the unit under warranty?

....JIM....

SYQUEST:
You´re quite right, the switch was bought in february and is still under warranty.
The manual offers no help regarding the error I currently have neither does 3com knowledgebase.
I know that for some other 3com products there is a serial-upgrade-utility (SUU) that you can use in the event of a failed upgrade or missing image, but apparently it´s not available for this particular switch.
I´ve registered the product with 3com, but I can´t figure out how to file a servicerequest via the homepage. I´ve send a RMA-request instead (still awaiting an email regarding this).

Still thank you very much for your input.

Sincerly
Jakob

I would call them, try 800-949-6894. They will issue an RMA and instructions.

Let us know the results.

....JIM....

I just recieved a replacement switch through my RMA-request.
I haven´t gotten any explanation from 3com regarding how the switch lost it´s image. That would have been nice to know in order to prevent it from happening again.
I guess the "case" is closed, and hope I don´t get any trouble with the new switch.

I believe you can save a copy of the configuration to your PC, that way you WILL have a copy that can be uploaded if needed.

Myself, I save copies of the switch config files that I program for that purpose as a backup.

Remember, you always move forward by backing up!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back