Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3c16988a lost user name & password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2007
US
Hi guys I have a superstack 3 3300mm 3c16988a that I no longer koow the user name and password to. I do know the IP address but can lot login. I have tried all the defalt passwords but they all come back invalied. I have also tried the recovery recovery and unplug trick, I was trying to up grade the farm ware as I read that that would do it, but i do not have a bin file and can not find one on the net. Thanks for anny help.
Tony

Here are a bunch of answers I have collected. I had good luck with the master password resets of RIP etc on the 3300 models.

One of the things below that can be important is:
(also I don't remember of those are zeros or O's)
----------------------------

AT the same point try RIP 000 or RIP 0000, I'm sorry I haven't worked on these for sometime. But if I remeber correctly RIP 000 should work.

For switches 1000/1100 - same method
switches 3300/hub 24 etc - 3comcso RIP000
switc 9300/3900 - admin/lanplex

Hope it helps.
pounder222 (ISP)
12 Apr 04 0:21
Worker99 - You are the 3com switch God !

Yes the all important space between RIP and 0000 did the trick !

----------------------------------------------

I have the answer to everyones problem. Thanks to 3COM for such an easy way to reset their switches. Anyone and their mom will be able to reset the config on these switches. At least it only works with the console port. This works on any superstack switch from 3com, so even with the chit chat.

Login: 3comcso
Password: RIP000

Boom that's it.
Start your own Tek-Tips Group! Click Here!
dljones (IS/IT--Management)
24 May 03 9:33
An if that don't work you can reload or update your firmware to reset the passwords, you will need
1. firmware (for a Superstack II 3000 like I have) the url is ;
2. a null modem cable
3. a TFTP Server software you can download it from 3com called 3CServer (make sure you set the TFTP folder where the firmware file is located)

Once you have all this in hand do the following.
1. Connect the null-modem cable, configure Hyper Terminal for windows users to the com port you have connected, normal com setting N-8-1 none and VT100, connect to switch (login should appear if not don't worry console may be disable)
2. configure and start your TFTP Server
3. on the switch push the reset button 2 seconds
4. wait 3 seconds
5. push reset button again for 1 second
6. you should see the prompt after a few seconds at the prompt line type the following commands
F ls3k3_23.slx (firmware file name) "press enter"
B IPAddress of TFTP Server "press enter"
After firmware update the switch will reboot and the passwods will fall back to factory default.

thirdeg (IS/IT--Management)
31 May 03 16:16
Thanks IceDragon2000 you have stoped me having to send off a switch to 3Com, how where did you find that little pearl of wisdom?
cloonie (TechnicalUser)
17 Jul 03 14:11
Hi !

This is an impossible solution for my problem ...

I´ve an 3com Superstack II 9300 2-LX/10-SX (3C93011) SWITCH.

My Problem is: I could not login to reconfigure. My pal is walk out around the world and the 3com-support is over, because the machine was bought from 2001, and it´s to old since registration (just 2-year-free-support-help).
They gave me the offer to pay lot of money for help me here. - No thanks ! I haven´t !

Here are all my tried backdoors w/o effect (used serial-console):

adm/(none)
admin/synnet
admin/admin
admin/(blank)
admin/nopass
debug/synnet
write/synnet

... always "incorrect password" !
--------------
and:

root/(blank)
root/manger
security/(blank)
security/security
manager/manager
recover/recover
tech/tech
monitor/monitor
3comcso/RIP000
force/force

... always ".. is not a valid access level"

and here is NO reset-button on my machine ...

Maybe anyone got a quick idea ?! The delivered handbooks (the customer+admin handbooks) have no details for this case...

Does anyone have any idea or answer ?!

Greetings,

Phil (cloonie)

dw1ght (ISP)
23 Jul 03 14:06
3comcso/RIP000 did nto work on all of ours, althought sspifadmin as a password seemed to on some
mrashburn (MIS)
24 Jul 03 23:46
Been here done this - LOL The firmware update (posted by dljones) will/does work. It's the only reliable way to get the job done that I'm aware of. 3COM also has a utility to push (ok - that's not really a strong enough word - SHOVE is more descriptive) a new f/w version onto the switch (actually 3300s are all I have ever used it with). You know - "Ensure power is not disrupted during file transfer" about 20 seconds before it goes completely dark and your stuck? I can't think of the name of the utility, just email me if you need the name and I can look it up.

mashburn@envsci.com
1239227 (TechnicalUser)
4 Aug 03 17:09
dljones

Cheers for the info on the firmware loading. I have done this twice and loaded to different versions of my linkswitch 1000 firmware, but I still can't login. I have a thought though. when you type in the user you can see what you type. When you put in the password normally you get the stars that apper showing how many letters you have typed this dosn't happen.

Any thoughts

Cheers
Speed01 (IS/IT--Management)
5 Aug 03 19:19
The password doesn't show up. When you log in, what username / password are you using? You should be able to log in as admin with a blank password.

Speed
1239227 (TechnicalUser)
7 Aug 03 13:27
Well I was trying all the passwords etc from the manual and those I have found online. For some reason the only way I could get the unit to reset was to load the oldest firmware and then a new one?

Thanks all as I have now got into the switch, and yes in the end admin and "blank" password got me in.

cheers all!
lukaszeczek (TechnicalUser)
13 Aug 03 19:12
hello I have in my network SuperStack II Swith 3000 I've try some backdor passwords, it works, manager / manager . So easy and clean ;)
Helpful Member!worker99 (TechnicalUser)
19 Aug 03 4:05
You will find that 3comcso/RIP000 works on:
3300 s2/s3
ps hubs

on 1000/3000 uploading a s/w does not erase the psswd
u follow the procedure set out by djones

dljones (IS/IT--Manageme) May 24, 2003
An if that don't work you can reload or update your firmware to reset the passwords, you will need
1. firmware (for a Superstack II 3000 like I have) the url is ;;
2. a null modem cable
3. a TFTP Server software you can download it from 3com called 3CServer (make sure you set the TFTP folder where the firmware file is located)

Once you have all this in hand do the following.
1. Connect the null-modem cable, configure Hyper Terminal for windows users to the com port you have connected, normal com setting N-8-1 none and VT100, connect to switch (login should appear if not don't worry console may be disable)
2. configure and start your TFTP Server
3. on the switch push the reset button 2 seconds
4. wait 3 seconds
5. push reset button again for 1 second
6. you should see the prompt after a few seconds at the prompt line type the following commands
F ls3k3_23.slx (firmware file name) "press enter"
B IPAddress of TFTP Server "press enter"
After firmware update the switch will reboot and the passwods will fall back to factory default.

BUT before pressing b to begin s/w download
type RIP0000
then b

This will erase the password.
caliguy32 (IS/IT--Management)
29 Aug 03 10:38
Thanks to DLJONES - but just another tip while you do his steps to waiting the three seconds, If you actually look at the face of your Superstack II 3000 after you press the reset button for 2 seconds, watch the Management link light, wait till it flashes 3 times, then press the reset button again for 1 second. I had a lot of trouble getting the prompt to come up to type the flash file name untill I discovered that... I must have been counting too fast for the three seconds, lol. Thanks a million for this tip. It worked great for me again for the 3com SuperStack II 3000.
thickair (TechnicalUser)
2 Oct 03 19:48
HELP!

We just bought a Super Stack 1000. I was able to RIP0000 at the upgrade screen and get access to the manager account. I need admin though.

I'm doing everything through the serial.
The 3comcso/RIP000 (mentioned above) just gives me an invalid log in.

I would love to try "tftping" a newer version of firmware (mentioned above), but 3com has discontinued it. I tried it with newer versions of firmware and it didn't work.

--Phil
gunzo (IS/IT--Management)
6 Oct 03 14:08
Download upgrades for SSII 1000 from
This worked for me....
I first loaded the oldest ls1k2_00 and after that ls1k3_21.
When done admin/blank works.
saabstory (TechnicalUser)
10 Oct 03 12:18
I have a SSII Desktop Switch (3C16902). admin/blank does not get me in. using the reset button, I got to the prompt. I started a TFTP server session on a remote machine, set the ip and file info correctly for the upgrades, but get an update status id of 8 (load server not responding) when trying to do the upgrade with the "b" command. again, all of this is through the console port. I have what I believe to be the correct firmware from ftp.3com.com. I assume I have a settings problem w/ the gateway / IP info. My question is: is my computer connected to the console port the gateway for the switch? Or do I use the same gateway settings that my computer has to my router? Technically the switch is not connected directly to my router, but is rather going through my computer to the router. Any other advice or details on getting successfully connected to the TFTP server?
saabstory (TechnicalUser)
13 Oct 03 9:02
Solved the Status 8 errors.  The switch needs to be MANAGED via the console port, but any data transferred (TFTP in this case) needs to be done over one of the ethernet ports.  I read somewhere that, to be safe, don't use the module port(s), but stick to one of the 24 default ports.  Now when attempting the TFTP, I instead am getting Status 10 errors (record length mismatch).

This must be due to me having the incorrect files.  As a clarification from those that have successfully upgraded, should the upgrade files be ".exe" executables?  I noticed that someone was upgrading with a ".slx" file.  The only files at 3com for my switch are executables. Â

Again, this is a SSII Desktop Switch (3C16902), and the files available are: dt3_10.exe, dt3_21.exe, etc.  Any other input from those that have successfully upgraded?
nshank (IS/IT--Management)
30 Mar 04 5:23
After trying for about a week, I'm not getting any joy. I've tried everything I've read, and everything else I can think of, short of taking the switch apart, and looking for a jumper or chip that I can remove... If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be glad to try them.
Thanks,
Nick

Nick Shank
Quorum Systems.

S.M.P. Its not just an architecture, its a way of life.
pounder222 (ISP)
7 Apr 04 23:07
Hey Guys,

Some great info here, but I am in the same boat as nshank.

I have tried various versions of the bios, but I can't seem to make the bios loader console react to the RIP000 or RIP0000 command prior to the b command.

The R in RIP is interpreted as reset serial port and it immediately gets stuck with the y/n prompt for that with any response resulting in a restart of the switch with no change in password status.

Worker99 if you are out there - what prom version does the bios loader console have for yours ? Mine is 2.10 What is yours as well nshank ?

Thanks in advance guys.

Jon
Helpful Member!worker99 (TechnicalUser)
10 Apr 04 4:17
Pounder222,

AT the same point try RIP 000 or RIP 0000, I'm sorry I haven't worked on these for sometime. But if I remeber correctly RIP 000 should work.

For switches 1000/1100 - same method
switches 3300/hub 24 etc - 3comcso RIP000
switc 9300/3900 - admin/lanplex

Hope it helps.
pounder222 (ISP)
12 Apr 04 0:21
Worker99 - You are the 3com switch God !

Yes the all important space between RIP and 0000 did the trick !

For good measure last time the switch was apart I accidentally jammed the fans during reassembly, so it may also have thought I just decided to fry its little brain since it would not let me in :)
nshank (IS/IT--Management)
12 Apr 04 8:14
Hmm... still no joy. This is a superstack 2 3000 12 port 10/100. The firmware is 3.23 and I'm connecting via serial.

I've tried manage/manage, security/security, and others, nothing. That said, am I doing something wrong?
Nick

Nick Shank
Quorum Systems.

S.M.P. Its not just an architecture, its a way of life.
pounder222 (ISP)
12 Apr 04 9:03
As soon as I entered
RIP 0000
at the bios boot loader I could tell it was going to be different, no message that is standard if you type r as the first character. I then typed b for the load, after reboot, admin/<nothing> got me right in. I could also tell at that point it had worked before logging in since the login screen had the name of the switch that had been programmed, and that was also erased.
hidalgoma (TechnicalUser)
29 Nov 04 17:00
Hi

I´ve tried every code in this tread, but can´t get results, I have a 4400 (3C17203) without reset button and I can´t reset the admin passwd, in others I use recover and it works but in this one not.

anyone know what happen.
pounder222 (ISP)
29 Nov 04 17:08
I think that is the same as the 3300 series where flashing resets the pw's
hidalgoma (TechnicalUser)
29 Nov 04 18:59
Ok, but, how can I flash it.
Balincito (ISP)
3 Dec 04 23:59
Hi Everyone!!!

My SuperStack II Desktop Switch was working great, but sudenly one day when I turn on the switch the MGMT Led went from green to yellow, and anything works, I conect the console and a POST ERROR = 52 MMAC_al_h l_stuck port 21 appear, somebody know how to fix this problem?

Thanks I will appreciate you help!!
pounder222 (ISP)
4 Dec 04 17:30
See further up in this thread how to flash it - there is a utility to force a flash upgrade whether it wants one or not.
henroc (Programmer)
15 Jan 05 16:32
Just wanted to thank dljones and caliguy32 for their posts. I have a 3COM SuperStack II 3000, and was finally able to reset the switch to factory defaults (without the password.) Thanks a bunch!

</henroc>
mikestade (TechnicalUser)
20 Feb 05 10:51
Hello,
i've bought a used 3com Switch 3900.

It works 3 days and now i have the problem that nothing works, but power ist ok. I'he changed nothing.

After start the yellow LED of Port 18 is immediatly on. Then the switch starts by testing every Port, when it reaches Port 18 all LEDs of the ports are suddenly off and after a few seconds only the grenn power,the fault LED is on and also the green LED of the 1000sx Port ist on.

Can anyone help me here, because the problem is, that the switch is to old, and 3com don't help.

Thanks
mike
dtgorm (TechnicalUser)
20 Oct 05 17:50
Ugg, i dont get it.. I connected my null modem cable, downloaded the 3CServer, started hyper terminal... there is no VT100 anywhere that i can see for it.. my connection options on Hyper Terminal are
Connect Using: modem, com 3, tcp/ip
I choose com 3....
Bits per second: 2400
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: Hardware

at this point there is nothing to set VT100.. what gives?
So I click ok and my hyperterminal now shows in the bottom left corner, Connected 0.00:xx where its counting

I then started 3CServer

Now what??? Nothing is happening.. i try to type something on the HyperTerminal and nothing is happening.. I dont get how to use this.. I need to setup the superstack II 630 so first i need to try and access it.
cnwilson (MIS)
6 Dec 05 17:42
From the 3zCom website:
SuperStack II Switch 3900/9300 - How to recover from a lost password

Problem: How to recover from a lost password
Problem: Password Recovery Procedure
Fact: SuperStack II Switch 3900
Fact: SuperStack II Switch 9300
Fact: Password
Problem: Lost password
Problem: Unable to login to the Switch 9300/3900
Problem: Forgot password
Fix:

Follow the steps below, to recover from a lost password:

Select access level (read, write, administer): administer
Password: lanplex
Resetting the passwords, please wait...
To complete passwords resetting recycle power within 60 seconds

This worked for me- none of the other suggestions here worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back