Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3825 (Media=) error

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwpbwt1

MIS
Jul 23, 2003
US
Here is one that no one from CA can seem to figure out.

Started a few weeks ago, we had database corruption, and initializing did not solve the issues. A blank database was put in place, and all seems fine. However, since all media records were deleted, each tape needs to be formatted at least once so as not to generate the above error.
We use 11 tapes a night and are on a multiple week rotation, so this is a signifiicant amount of work.

CA's response was, just format, and and the end of your cycle you will be fione. That does not solve the issue from re-appearing if we need to go thru this again.

Anyway, what I found out was that the media record DB was not getting updated info when an inventory was done, the only way that the media record DB was getting updated was by a format.

CA says that this is "impossible", but I can re-create the error on demand.

Any thoughts out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

Does the library use barcodes? If YES do you have Library Quick Initialization enabled? This is a conflict and should have one or the other.

I am interested also in the backup Job itself. Is it looking for specific media for a backup job? When you put tapes in the library it should create the tape information in the database and media pool information. The tapes may be in the SAVE SET and either need to be deleted from the media pool and Database. CA's advice would work in a round about way as the media would eventually be written to the database as DESTROYED. There is still a manual process of deleting the information from the database.

Alernatively you could try the following:
Change the option under the backup job, to the option:
- Backup Media Tab
- Options for Frist Backup Media
- Overwrite Same Media Name, or Blank Media Frist then Any Media

I receive the error when I try to complete an append to media. I have formatted the tapes with the appropriate media label and backed up data to the tapes as a full with removing the bit but when the following day comes and the append has been scheduled I get a cancelled by user due to not being able to find the correct media. I have scheduled the jobs for the appends right after the full so to use the same media lable or ID. This still seems not to work. Does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back