Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3620 as an Access Server 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GottaBeKiN

Technical User
May 12, 2008
US
Hi all,

Instead of the 2509 or the 2511, is the 3620 capable of being an Access Server with the right NM. I was reading something on the Cisco website saying that you can use the Octal cable kit with the NM-8A/S. But the rj-45 end is being plugged into the serial interfaces with an adapter, so how is it going to be able to be plugged into the console ports?

Kin

Hey Kin..
Here is a link... I believe that you need DB25 to RJ45 adapters like you would need on the NM-16A/S... This link also provides configuration info and the best part is Scott Morris (Uber Geek) posted the question sometime back... thought that was cool.. Later

GottaBeKiN,

You could use a 3620, 2610 or even a 2612. Just need to be able to telnet to or connect to the Access router so that we can "reverse telnet" to the items it is attached to.

If you use a NM-8A/S follow the link maczen has above - you would use your normal serial cables and then put the DB25 to RJ45 adapters on the end and attach the console cable there. That would get plugged into your console ports. you do not use an octal cable with the NM-8A/S or 16A/S.

Or you can get the NM-8A or 16A which uses the Octal cable -

The NM-16A and NM-32A network modules provide flexible, high-density asynchronous connectivity at a competitive price per port and higher performance than comparable third-party solutions.

The modules support V.34 speeds at up to 4x compression (134.4 kbps) over the asynchronous connection.

Three examples where this module can be deployed follow (I left 1 and 2 off):

3) Telemetry applications, connecting a NM-32A or 16A module to private branch exchange (PBX) serial ports, data collection equipment, or router
consoles

Cable - CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC - High density connector to eight RJ-45

Hope this clears it up!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Ahh I see, so if I use the NM-8A/S or even NM-4A/S, I can just use the regular console cable to do the job. I will have to play around with it. Thanks, stars for you guys!

Kin

Kin,

You said - "Ahh I see, so if I use the NM-8A/S or even NM-4A/S, I can just use the regular console cable to do the job."

With the NM-8A/s or 4A/S to make it clear - You will need the Network Module - and then for each console you will need a serial cable, a DB25 to RJ45 adapter and a console cable.

With the NM-32A or 16A all you need is the 1 CAB-OCTAL ASYNC - it has 8 cables that plug directly into the console ports.

E.A. Broda

Right, so I am going to try using the blue console cable with my NM-4A/S in my 3620. I will let you guys know how it go. Thanks.

Try this...
DB25 TO RJ45 ADAPTER
|
SERIAL BACK-TO BACK CABLE
|
NM-4A/S OR NM-8A/S (ACCESS SERVER)
CONSOLE PORT (ACCESS SERVER)
|
CONSOLE CABLE
|
WORKSTATION
OCTAL CABLE (CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC)
|
NM-16A OR NM-32A (ACCESS SERVER)
CONSOLE PORT (ACCESS SERVER)
|
CONSOLE CABLE
|
WORKSTATION

Hope that this helps!!!

maczen,

The DB25 TO RJ45 ADAPTER gives him an RJ-45 (female) port on the end of the serial cable. That is where he will plug his console cable in.

Here is a picture of a DB25 TO RJ45 ADAPTER -

~A/S MODULE SETUP~

ROUTER CONSOLE PORTS (ROUTERS 1 - 8)
|
Console cable
|
DB25 TO RJ45 ADAPTER
|
SERIAL BACK-TO BACK CABLE
|
NM-4A/S OR NM-8A/S in Network Bay
CONSOLE PORT both in ACCESS SERVER
|
CONSOLE CABLE
|
WORKSTATION

~A MODULE SETUP~

ROUTER CONSOLE PORTS (ROUTERS 1 - 8)
|
OCTAL CABLE (CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC)
|
NM-16A OR NM-32A in Network Bay
CONSOLE PORT both in ACCESS SERVER
|
CONSOLE CABLE
|
WORKSTATION

He can connect to the Access server by console or telnet - however he wants - it is not part of the equation but you have showed him consoling into both.

E.A. Broda

I just had time to look at the equipment. You guys mentioned the DB25 to RJ45 adapter. Now the question is that on the NM-4A/S, it has DB60 serial ports, would the DB25 adapter be able to fit into those ports? If they fit all I have to do is to crimp my own rolled cable right?

GottaBeKiN,

I do not see why not unless the "footprint" of the DB25 to RJ45 adapter is bigger then end of the serial cable that you would be using.

E.A. Broda

Thanks or pointing that out CiscoGuy.. I must have got lost there somewhere... Looking at the time my wife was probably calling me for dinner.. LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back