Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3524 connectivity? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guntha

MIS
Mar 8, 2001
US
I have a strange problem (well to me it's strage), I have (4) 3524 switches connected via GBIC modules. I have connectivity locally but when I connect thru my VPN (safenet) and go thru Network neigborhood I can see the WIN2K PC's on the other switches but get error messages stating the PC could not be reached. I ping them by their names and it translates to the IP addresses but I get timmeouts? I know these PC's are on but I cannot establish connectivity. Ultiamtely I would like to support these PC's thru PC Anywhere from home like I do at work but for right now I just wanna know why it is I can't connect to them. BTW the switches are configured as one switch thru Cisco Cluster Management software, I have a flat network, I VPN thru my 2610 router (Default Gateway on the switches)with Safenet VPN Clients. Any Ideas would really be appreciated =)

Alex

I thing that four switches take too much delay when connected sequently.

Could be a bad cable or the length exceeds the 100 meter rule if your using Cat5

The Switches are connected via fiber and running at 1000 MBPS. The Clients are all within 100 meters. Locally there are no issues. I can ping them, see them, no problems at all. But when I am connected to my LAN thru my VPN I'm I can only see them thru Network NBHD but cannot attach to them or even ping them. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Alex

any chance that you have an access list that is preventing outside connections unless already established? you might want to look at your routers config and check.

Doyle

Network neighborhood uses Netbios to communicate which sends out an all routes query packet like a token ring explorer frame. It knows no IP boundary. The fact that you can see them lets you know that the path to them is ok. Unless they are cached and your computer just expects them there (Microsoft=bad)

Since the pings fail you should look at your IP configuration. Check your access-lists, routing tables, subnet masks, etc. You may try a tracert. Your mac address, cam tables are fine since they are layer 2 which seems to be working.

the IP config on my PC is fine, I can see and connect to all servers on connected to the switch that is directly connected to my router. What would I be looking for in my routers config that would dissable me from connecting to the nodes on the other switches? Sorry I'm not very well versed in router configs. BTW, I dont think the pc's are cached cus when I am not going thru my VPN I can see the PC's on my home LAN, when I connect thru VPN I see my work LAN's workstations all the time and they are not always the same PC's. Seems to be 'real time" Thanks guys..........

For a ping to be replied the pinged station must have the address of a valid gateway on her own network who knows the route to the pinger.
Is it the case ?
To focus the problem you may install a sniffer on your local network to see what are the packets exchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back