Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300ICP Release 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundah

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
For those of you with MOL accounts & on-line training access, the 3300ICP release 8.0 update is out there. I finished it yesterday, lots of cool new stuff from the boys in Kanata.

- 2 new sets (5560 "IP Turret" and 5302 2-line SIP handset)
- Cordless headset module for high-end IP sets
- New chassis (MXe Server, designed for Mitel Communications Director, a high-capacity 3300ICP platform)
- Ring Groups
- Clustered Hospitality
- System Administration Policies (similar to Form Security on the 2k)
- MLPP
- Bandwidth Management
- Group Park
- Travelling Class Marks (portable COS/COR in a cluster)

Oops, I mean the training course is out there, the GA software release date is next week.

I have had Rel 8 in the lab for weeks, interesting changes in there. Lots of customer requested stuff. The headset/handsets are running in house. Wierd to see a guy standing around talking with a HANDSET up to his head, yet he isn't around a phone at all.

Wait until Rls 8.1.... wow!

MitelTech,

Did the bootup process of the phones get better with 8.0? As a end user/client, we were told it was supposed to get better.

At our HQ site, we have over 200 5235's, and the last time the ICP went down during business hours, it took over 3 hours for all of the phone's to come up.

Thanks

Not sure about 5235's, but the boot process has changed for 53xx's. If the set can't download it's firmware for whatever reason, it will try and failback to firmware now kept in memory. This speeds up boot time, that's for sure. My 53xx's come up in seconds now, instead of minutes.

Why not setup multiple TFTP servers with the set firmware?

Normally you expect the product to work out of the box. This affects the basic functionality, so it's nice that MITEL takes care of it.

Thanks for the feedback MitelTech. I hope it works for the 5235's as well.

We are waiting to see how v8 handled the bootup process. If it helps, then great. If not, we were going to move forward with multiple tftp servers.

Thanks

Somewhere in these threads someone mentioned that the 3300ICP telnet interface was going away in 8.0, I can confirm that this is NOT the case, I have 8.0 up in my lab, and can still telnet into the controller and use the "old school" SX-2000 interface.

I hope this version fixes a problem with the 5330/5340 phones having a terrible issue while talking to a Spectralink wireless handset. It sounds like an electrical noise and completely drowns out the conversation. Packet captures suggest it's the processing on the 5330/5340 phones. Has anyone seen this?

We have several of the 5330/5340 phones and also use SpectraLink and have not seen that particular issue with noise when calling between them.

We are now running Release 8 Beta, but we did not see that problem on any previous release either.

Brett Gibson
Gibson Teldata, Inc.

How was the quiz? I just downloaded the training materials today and have to admit to feeling just a bit overwhelmed along around pg 50 and beyond. There sure seemed to be an awful lot of material (time spent) covering the hospitality features. I can see myself spending a day just trying to absorb the BW mgmt section. And to think I passed up an opportunity to retiure last year... Oh foolish me, what was I thinking?

It's a bit of challenge, but decent. Mitel is now making tests harder (on purpose). Nothing you can't do though.

Wheee.. 8.0 certified! Took the quiz today (Fri) only 20 questions and nothing that wasn't covered in the training docs. Prolly won't ever use the Hospitality & esoteric BWM stuff, tho interesting nonetheless.

Something that wasn't real clear to me in the BWM section was how BWM is able to work when the call isn't actually "going through" the ICP after call setup? Once the call is established for all intent and purposes you could shut off or unplug the Ethernet cable from the ICP and the call would stay up, wouldn't it?

What am I missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back