Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300 ICP - Cisco Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2000
Just though I would share this..

Mitel preferred setup for Cisco Switches, is to set the ports up as such..

Taken from a Cisco 6500 but works with most. In this example Vlan 50 is the Data and 60 is the voice.

interface FastEthernet2/1
no ip address
mls qos trust cos
switchport
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 50
spanning-tree portfast

HOWEVER, the following works better.

interface FastEthernet2/1
no ip address
mls qos trust cos
switchport
switchport access vlan 50
switchport voice vlan 60
spanning-tree portfast

Explanation..

In the first example (Mitel Preferred) we set the port into trunk mode and tell the switch that any untagged traffic is to be placed on the (native) vlan 50. Tagged traffic will be placed on the vlan for which it already has a vlan tag. This is set by the phones DHCP option.

In the second example we set the port up to only allow traffic on Vlan 50 (data) unless it is tagged as voice. Then it is to be placced on the voice vlan 60.

The dirrence is that Cisco reccomeend minimising of the number of Trunk ports. They are only supposed to be used for uplink and servers etc. Setting every port in a large chassis to trunk casues problems on the backplane and in our case caused the switch to disconnect its fabric module EVERY time a phone was plugged in. We had 368 ports in the same chassis set to trunk.

Changing this config also caused an increase in the speed the phone booted.

Has anyone else got experience of a 3300 over a large chassis switch?

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

I did this for a 6009 but we're using the CatOS so we had to configure "auxillary vlans" for the ports. I did set my 3550s like your preferred method as well as running the DHCP on the switch itself instead of on a Windows server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back