Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300 DHCP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfredSpecial

Programmer
Apr 4, 2005
GB
I have two questions regarding 3300 DHCP.

Q1. Can i play around with these settings on a live system without fear.I assume these settings only matter to the phones on boot up.So i could disable the dhcp without the customer knowing make changes and turn back on.

Q2. I have a 10.100.1.0/16 subnet with a range of .5 to .254.
I now need to assign a static reservation address but .1 to .4 are already in use.
Do i just add a static reservation of 10.100.2.1/16 or can i just create another range on the same subnet.For example range 10.100.2.0 to 10.100.2.254

thanks. hope my ramblings make sense.

I don't know what the "official" word on this is, but it could be tricky if you happen to be monkeying with the DHCP settings when leases expire. You may even need a controller reboot for the ICP to start using the new address range data, so I would recommend making your changes just before going home the night before a programmed reboot, then check it in the morning to make sure it took.

As far as what you're trying to do with adding a static IP, the safest bet would be to drop a few IP's off the high end of your DHCP range, since they are assigned last. This, of course, is assuming they aren't already being used by something. Also keep in mind when you're changing the DHCP range, you can't simply edit an existing range, you have to delete it and re-enter it with the modified fields.

You can change the settings within the DHCP server, enable and disable will not effect the handsets unless you reboot the phones, this will then save the settings you have reprogrammed onto the handsets.

On a working system I have changed, added and deleted settings and this has never caused a problem.

The only time you need to reboot the system is when changing the IP Address, subnet mask and default gateway of the RTC controller within the system ip configuration.

As for assigning a static reservation, is this just for a pc or do you require a range of IP addresses for future use.

If it is for 1 pc you can just assign a static ip within the DHCP staic ip settings.

If it's for a different subnet then you will have to consider VLAN settings and keep the subnets seperate otherwise you'll have pc's and IP phones picking up an IP address from different subnets.

Hope this helps

Andy

i made my range (192.168.1).15-(192.168.1).254 that way in case i need to add any more static ips for computer servers or printers or such i have room. but if u want to add a .5 i would change the range from from .5 to .010 but you will most likely already have those assigned to somewhere since they are the first. i would change the ip range while no one is using the phones to the range you want then reboot only the ip phones if that is an option with ur system. i have a 200icp and can do it that way. then all they phone will have new ip addresses within the new range. but as for making a static ip of 10.100.2.1 you will be on a different subnet and whatever u are trying to use it for will not work because the the first 3 numbers must be the same. i found out the hard/long way.

Matthew McGowan
Reynolds Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back